Conquering sobriety after a death in the family

Got news a few hours ago that I lost an uncle. Apparently he just wasn’t feel well, throwing up pretty badly. Called someone for help and found him in his home on his floor. So disheartening to think anyone had to leave this earth that way, let alone a family member. Feeling sad is an understatement and I’m trying so hard not to drink. On top of that, someone gave me free booze at work to take home from the office. Part of me wants to drink because it’s only been 8 days since my last one so it’s not very long at all. I stayed at work because once I’m home, I’ll be alone and that’s not something I’m looking forward to right now.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:Any motivation and words of encouragement would be more than appreciated.

With love,

Phoenix

2 Likes

Take it from someone who tried to drown his grief after the death of a loved one: it doesn’t work. Even worse, it actually makes the grief last longer. Grieving is a process and when it’s interrupted through escapism, it takes longer to proceed to emotional acceptance and resolution.

I drank when my mother died. My grief lasted a long time. I was sober when my favorite uncle died. I experienced the loss uninterrupted, and moved on much more quickly than with my mom.

2 Likes

Poor it out, temptation is a prick.

Im sorry for your loss, recently been through thebsame thing but found my sobriett again through the grieving process.

I wish you well. Im only at 9 days myself

2 Likes

You get to decide who and what you want to be one breath and one moment at a time. I lost a 6 month old daughter 24 years ago… she had a seizure disorder, and I left the room long enough to bathe my 18 month old. She had a seizure and aspirated on the formula she vomited.

I crawled deep into a bottle, riddled with grief and guilt. So did my husband. Our marriage fell apart. I lost my stepdaughters. I lost a lot of time completing my education and making professional advances to be more comfortable in life. I lost friends. I damaged family relationships. I damaged my reputation. I lost so much time and so many opportunities I will never get back.

You are already struggling with one loss. Treat yourself kindly and with love and compassion. Do your best not to make choices that add more losses and grief to what you are already feeling.

2 Likes

Thoughts are with you. Another day is just another day of recovery, what comes with that day however we just don’t always know. Let the prior stay true. Much love

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss :broken_heart: I also have a tendency to drink when I’m grieving, and I guess all I can say is that if you decide to drink tonight you’ll still be just as sad in the morning but you’ll also be hungover, and disappointed in yourself. Stick it out my friend, and know that we understand what you’re going through and we’re with you.

2 Likes

I happened to come across this today and felt it was a worthwhile share. Hopefully it helps someone.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/widows-walk/202311/when-loss-changes-the-holidays

1 Like