Considering taking Antabuse- has anyone taken it help with sobriety? Looking for feedback. Thanks!

Hi there, I’m wondering if anyone has insight on taking Antabuse to help with sobriety? It was recommended by my doctor but I did some research online and it feels like alcohol is in everything (shampoo, conditioner, etc…). I even read you can’t get your hair dyed :flushed: Any feedback or recommendations?

Talk to a doctor

5 Likes

I was on naltrexone, designed to curb urges, I have heard mixed reviews regarding Antabuse,

As Englishd said talk to your doctor they will have a better plan and understanding of your situation

1 Like

I am on Antabuse. So far so good, and have had only mild side effects. It doesn’t stop the cravings at all by the way. It just makes you really poorly if you partake in a drink of alcohol. I once used deodorant containing alcohol, and my face went bright red and puffed up. So… it’s scares you away from walking down the supermarket booze aisle, but does nothing for the cravings.

2 Likes

I would recommend doctors input, but I’m on meds and I personally can say all it does is put a crappy plaster over that needs to be looked at now. But it’s defenitely a personel choice, iknow when I come off my meds I have a detox to do all over again.

The goal of taking Antabuse, for me, was to use the sudden and powerful negative consequences as a motivation to stay away from drinking. It also increased my awareness of alcohol in my environment.

Why is your doctor recommending Antabuse for you? It is a tool to achieve an end, what is the end goal? Talk to your doctor more about this.

When I got permanently sober, I used Antabuse for the first month. It kept me away from thoughts of trying to hide a night or two of drinking. I got through the worst of the withdrawals without drinking and established a toe hold on abstinence. After a month, I had some mild side effects, so I stopped the medicine and walked back into AA with an open mind a willingness to do anything to stay sober.

1 Like