Cooking with alcohol once sober?

@KeepGoing
funny you mentioned the beer chicken cause That is what got me going on this thread. Have never made it till now and am planning to since everyone is saying how awesome the flavor and moisture of the chicken is , ect. My husband and I are doing the low carb thing again to get his diabetes back under control and it helps me to and there is alot of chicken involved so trying different ways to cook it is helpful.
So taking suggestions here I go to our one supermarket locally hoping to buy 1 can of O’douls, or at worst a 6pack…not a temptation for me as I think its gross…and I know it still has a small amount of alcohol in it. Not possible to by a single can…or a 6 pack…only a 12 pack or case…of O’Douls? Unless I want to drive 30 minutes away…no thanks.
The good news for me today was while standing in the beer Isle being frustrated at all of this…and surrounded by all the beer I usually love…the thought of having any actually turned my stomach! Weird! And I never would have expected it for sure.
So beer chicken will have to wait for now I guess! LOL

Are you actually sautéing the chicken in beer or is it beer can chicken? If it’s beer can chicken I use soda. Pour about 1/3 of it out and throw a bit of seasoning in the liquid also. I started using Dr Pepper years ago. Family always had cans of that and I only had bottles of

@Chad_R
It’s the beer can chicken…thanks…didn’t realize soda would work as well?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you will be happy with it.

1 Like

Use to think I’d do it and it would be no big deal but once I actually stopped drinking it became more about not buying alchohol or having it in my home.

If I go out and it’s already in my food I’m fine with that. I just don’t buy AND open alchohol. It’s one of my bottom lines.

1 Like

@C-sun
Thank you , that does sound good, and there’s a variety to try as well.

@Decided
Yeah, especially reading all the replies on this thread which have helped a lot I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m worried about even bringing home, say that one can of real beer and smelling it as I open it to put in the chilli, chicken whatever. I may get past that moment and not have any more in the house, but I’m worried it will spark a craving and I’ll start wanting to head back to the store. Not worth it the more I think about it and reading everyone’s comments here has helped ALOT!
I like your screen name btw…that’s perfect! as are so many others I’ve seen here.

1 Like

So glad you thought it though :blush: constructing a list of bottom line behaviours and inner circles really helped me a lot in figuring out what my safe, danger and red alert situations people and places were. Keep us posted and glad you like the name!

1 Like

I still cook with alcohol, I love red wine in a beef or lamb stew or a shepherds pie. Each to their own though, if you find it too tempting then don’t do it. But its not as if something like that would get you drunk . Some things are different though for example, at work they had a gin and tonic sorbet delivered by mistake and i tasted it out of curiosity (weird flavour for a sorbet). I found that it was too strong and quite tempting as you could taste the alcohol too much I almost felt like I was having a drink.

I couldn’t do it, because the thought of doing it makes me wonder, “what if I’m tempted too much?”----that alone for me is enough to decide on a hard pass.

⊂( ̄(エ) ̄)⊃

As I said, each to their own. I’m not pregnant and I will always like the actual taste of red wine - I just don’t like being drunk.

Sushi has alcohol in it? you learn something new every day :laughing:

The rice wine makes the rice sticky for rolling.

I hope you don’t start craving it, then you will be screwed lol.Maybe there’s a non alcoholic version somewhere, or you could always learn yourself I guess

I always thought sticky rice was just cooked a certain way, didn’t realise they added stuff to it

You use a short grain rice, as well. It forms better! I make sushi at home about once a month. I’m curious now! I’m gonna attempt making it without the rice wine and see how it goes!

I’ve never cooked with cooking wine, do you get the same flavour? might have to try it

NOM… That looks like it takes some patience though

1 Like

Nice! Good to know! The first time I made sushi at home, I was like…this might not be the prettiest, but it taste awesome, and it’s wayyy cheaper lol.

2 Likes