Cooking with alcohol once sober?

Just wondering thoughts and advice on this? I’ve always used beer and wine in many recipes. For flavor, and today in conversation about cooking it dawned on me? Is that all a complete no no now too?
The way I’ve always understood it is that the alcohol burned of in the cooking process, and outs the flavor that remains. For me personally, it won’t be a struggle to buy something just for a recipe, as long as I don’t have extra in the house. And I’d just have hubby get it for me. I’m just wondering if even having it at all, or even made by someone else, is considered a relapse? Or dangerous for a relapse?
Thanks🙂

1 Like

Thank you @C-sun
Hmm…guess I gotta do some research and thinking. I certainly don’t want my taste buds to win the battle over sobriety. Just a life long change I hadn’t thought about or prepared for.

I guess I never appreciated just how intertwined alcohol is into daily life.

I personally don’t think alcohol in a recipe (as long as it’s cooked off, not like rum cake!) is a problem, but I have heard that others can taste it and is triggering. For me the problem is having a whole bottle of booze at my disposal. The last time hubby used white wine to cook I poured a bunch of salt in it as soon as he was done so I couldn’t chug it. Because that’s what I do.

2 Likes

@C-sun
That article is VERY informative… thank you! Answers several questions… and I love the substitution chart!

1 Like

I’ve brought this up at a meeting before (not kidding) and the drunks that I listen to advised against it. I don’t have the damndest idea of how to stay sober so I tend to listen to them.

1 Like

For me the issue is the act of cooking with alcohol. I would pour some in a glass and some in the pot. I think it would be hard for me to do one but not the other. But actually eating food that contains alcohol doesn’t bother me. There is do little in each serving that I would never get the buzz…and the buzz is my issue. Once I get the buzz I start chasing it. As long as I stay away from the buzz I’m good.

1 Like

There are single serve mini wine bottles. That might be an option? I cook with wine and beer too, but only twice since sobriety with beer in the crock pot. I am not tempted by it nor am I tempted by alcohol that’s in the house. I don’t recommend it for everyone.

2 Likes

Exactly…what works for one person won’t work for all. Just because I’m fine cooking with alcohol doesn’t mean I think it should be fine for all.

3 Likes

I avoid ALL food that contains any alcohol. Even beer cheese or Dijon mustard made w wine. If i am going to eat tiramisu, I make it myself. I feel like if I ate food that tasted like booz it would trigger me. I have been doing this since day one it is now one year and 3 months

5 Likes

Cunning, baffling and powerful… I don’t eat anything with alcohol. I don’t risk my sobriety for anything but that’s just me

5 Likes

I like to use non alcoholic wine and beer. Tastes the same in the recipes without the temptation

2 Likes

I’ve never even felt a slight buzz after eating beer chicken, and I get a nice buzz off of one beer, I’m clearly not a drinker, but how about non alcoholic beer in your recipes? Would that work? I’ve never had non alcoholic beer so I don’t know if there is a taste difference, but may be a good suggestion to consider if you want that flavor and are concerned with pissible repercussions wirh regular beer, best of luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

heres one more reason i don’t get food with any alcohol in it: when i worked at this steakhouse we had this cold soup we used to make every week and there was absolutely no cooking involved, we added champagne and some other liquor into it and let it chill in the walk in over night… you never know what you are going to get at a restaurant unless you specifically ask how its made…

2 Likes

@VSue
That’s kind of what I’m thinking for me as well. As long as I don’t “feel” the alcohol I doubt it will bother me. And yes I also always had some of whatever I was cooking with…loved it. But I didn’t always “abuse” it until the later years. So now I’m thinking I should avoid it altogether until I have a lot more time sober behind me for strength. Then if I really can’t stand my chilli without the beer or spaghetti sauce without the wine, ect…I’m thinking I’ll try the alcohol free brands and see how they taste first, and go from there. I have to say…It’s a test I hadn’t thought of…but I simply don’t want to fall into the trap again.

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Phillips !!

1 Like

That’s awesome @Steve92 …I didn’t even think of some of those foods! Thanks…I really have to start paying attention!

1 Like

Joe and Charlie, free YouTube ‘journey through the big book’ speaker meeting

These guys do a great job of breaking down and explaining the allergy trigger.

Way to much info to type.

Search: Joe Charlie AA allergy

1 Like

Yep me too, and I just don’t like the taste any more

2 Likes

Thank you @Michael_H I will take a look :slight_smile:

1 Like