Coping Skills/Passing Time

What is your coping skills? Or a coping skill you’d like to try? I used to be an artist before I was an addict and during my addiction I would either nod out when drawing or I just simply didn’t have the energy or the want to even do it. A lot of passions and interests us addicts had before addiction usually disappear during active addiction. Now that I’ve been clean I’ve been able to finally have the desire to draw and paint again and it feels so satisfying. I feel like it’s usually hard to find something to occupy our time with when all day we just used and it made time fly be but with me personally being able to draw it takes up so much time and I don’t even realize how much time has passed once I’m done .

3 Likes

There’s lots of good hobbies that help us create something and feel good about it :innocent: Humans are creators! We all are. One of the best things about being sober is that your creator is set free to create.

I like to build: with wood if I have time, or if I’m in a rush, I play with Lego. I have a box of Lego in my car!

There’s a good thread about people’s hobbies, here; I’m sure you’ll find some relevant shares:

It’s true… I definitly lost my passion for many things. Crafting, baking, exercise were the main ones I think. I have gotten back into all 3 since I’ve been clean and I find that I really enjoy them. I’m wanting to try different activities but they all cost $$ and right now I’m wanting to get a handle on my debt.
For coping skills I use a variety of things. I have a comfort box. I decorated this wooden box from the dollsrstore and I put everything in it that comforts me. So for myself that would be lavender essential oil, cinnamon gum, mini battery operated Xmas lights, sage, mini big book from 12 step mtgs, pictures, a necklace from my son, crystals, Bible versus etc. I also use meditation for coping, certain songs, prayer, warm baths with a cold shower afterwards (the cold temp grounds me and brings me back to the moment). That’s a few. I’m learning as I go to see what works for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This old guy gardening ,guitar, and Fifa 22 , and of course soccer games

1 Like