COVID-19 Mask Discussion (Trigger warning - mute thread is your friend)

It would very likely get my vote. Maybe :thinking::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gotta quit masking around, going to a meeting :slight_smile:

1 Like

In person or online? Mainly want to know if cake is provided :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Online, no cake or a piece of the pie :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

1 Like

3 Likes

I agree with this 1000%. Sorry not sorry. :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

There is a major difference between doing dumb stuff that only affects YOU, and doing dumb stuff that affects OTHERS against their will. That’s no longer exercising personal freedom, that’s being ignorant and selfish.
Wear a mask if mandatory or appropriate.

7 Likes

Wearing a mask has become routine for @mleclaire and I. We don’t leave home without it. Living in the epicenter, watching hundreds dying daily was a huge eye-opener. I’m glad our governor took action and mandated masks. This has drastically reduced the number of new cases and I wish other states would follow suit.

4 Likes

Still all about the cheesecake. Made my first cheesecake like 2 weeks ago, no idea it was that easy.

Long live the cheesecake!

7 Likes

… and now I want cheesecake :roll_eyes::joy:

Did you use a packet mix, or make it from scratch? It looks yummy :yum:

2/3 cup sugar, 2 eggs, teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 bars of cream cheese. Premade graham cracker crust. Easy peasy.

1 Like

Mmm… I vote crumble. Blueberry Crumble…or Peach…or Cherry…

2 Likes

Or possibly rhubarb, or apple, or strawberry and rhubarb :+1::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

THANK YOU! :pray: I will be trying this VERY soon. Don’t think I could mess that up. Ha… famous last words.

1 Like

I’ve never tried Rhubarb…def would though…

2 Likes

The mask “debate” is not really about freedom, or personal choice. It’s not about style or comfort. It’s also not about raising awareness (the people objecting - it’s not because they don’t intellectually know or understand the reasoning).

It’s about vulnerability.

Why does the sight of a mask, or public health laws about wearing masks, or - on the other “side” - seeing a person objecting to wearing a mask, provoke such heated responses in us?

Because we’re afraid. We feel vulnerable. We retreat to what’s safe: either we say masks be damned and my freedoms are what matter to me (safety = doing what I want, when I want; that’s been my life up till now and it feels familiar and safe; this is a kind of “fuck it” mentality that many of us in recovery are familiar with); or if we’re a mask advocate we worry that anti-mask language and behaviour puts us all at greater risk of contracting the disease.

Either way, we’re responding to a basic human feeling: vulnerability. We’re responding with different language - but it’s the same exact feeling about the COVID situation. We’re scared. (And on Talking Sober, this is interesting: what would addicts know about exploring vulnerability, anyway?)

Until we can sit down with each other and see the Other, as a person/group who’s scared, and validate that - until we can humanize each other and really feel seen and heard, as allies - we will continue talking in circles around this mask “debate”. The circles keep going round and round because neither “side” is really speaking to the heart of the other. If they did, they’d realize they’re not that far apart. (And also - people would embrace public health policy, not because it’s the right policy [that was never in question], but because they had been seen, and validated, and understood.)

We’re good people who deserve a safe life where we can become our full selves. We deserve spaces, services, and communities where we have our emotions seen and heard, and where people invest the emotional energy to understand their fellow people, across the spaces between us. It does take effort, for sure, and perspective. But it is well worth it - and in the end, it makes us all safer.

Take care folks & be safe, with your bodies and your words :innocent:

3 Likes

Masks are recommended by the CDC, WHO, and basically any reputable health expert. It’s been proven to slow the spread of the virus significantly. Closing this thread as outlined in Covid-19 aka the Coronavirus

7 Likes

Let the cream cheese sit out for like an hour so it’s super soft, add the sugar and vanilla, mix that up well but not like super fluff, then add the 2 eggs and beat those in. Pour it into the crust, bake for 30 minutes at 350. Pop it out, let it sit for for about 30 and then into the fridge. Ready to eat in about 4 hours.

2 Likes