COVID depression

I am at 130 days now. But with being confined to house with the virus out there. Making it much harder to not want to pick up a 12 pack and just drink my worries away. For awhile anyways. Just struggling right now.

7 Likes

it’s definitely hard and i also feel a great wave of depression from this, but i think doing something meditation will help ease your mind a little and distract yourself from thoughts of temptation

1 Like

Thank you. So much. Sometimes you just need a reminder!.

1 Like

Good thing I don’t drink. In south Africa they have banned the sale of all alcohol and cigs. People have started home brewing big time

2 Likes

Hey Brandon!! 130 dayss !! Let’s do One more Day ! God Is just giving us a little of stone in or ways to see how we manage the day a day, And I know is super stressful. But, just for Today Don’t open that first One… That COVID19 will end Soon, and Your Sobriety Is More Important !!!

2 Likes

I feel you man these are hard times. hard not to drink just to pass the time. stay strong bud. More time to hone skills, learn an instrument, read. That’s what I’m trying to do anyways.

It is all really scary though. Both of my parents caught it, in spite of being very cautious about going out. I dont know how they could have contracted it. They both got hospitalized. Where we live in Wisconsin I didn’t think it was that widespread. I’m super anxious about that, but trying not to do something I’ll regret. We’re all in this together, oddly enough. stay strong buddy!

3 Likes

Don’t do it man 130 days is a lot, don’t throw that away. I get how you are feeling, I feel like that sometimes when I get some symptoms. I tell my girlfriend when I do get symptoms I shoulda just kept drinking felt better when I was, now I am low on energy most days, no motivation what so ever have to force myself. Its hard because when i drank i didn’t feel like that i actually felt better. But you know what I am not going back the benifits are better and I have stopped acting a fool infront of my family or for that matter insulting them all the time. Didn’t like what I was becoming. Stay safe and sober and remember 130 days is 130 days not a lot of people get there, they usually stop at 2 weeks.

Welcome to this great community @Brandos. And congrats on 130 days. I feel you about depression and some days I have to take sobriety one hour at a time. The WHO says that alcohol will weaken your immune system and prolong the vurus if you get infected. Your health is not worth that drink. Hang in there friend. We’re all here cheering you on.

4 Likes

@Brandos
130…Good for you.
Can you redirect your thoughts and actions to something more positive or different? Hobby at home, cleaning, reading, the list goes on. Actually call people on phone. You can do this. :unicorn:

1 Like

Congrats on the 130 days. That’s quite a feat. I’m feeling that I am better off sober and not hungover each morning. Sometimes I feel like I picked a rotten year to give up booze. It would be so easy to fall into a bottle of gin right now. And then beat myself up the next morning. But in my 100 days sober I think I finally realize that the gin or whatever isn’t going to help at all. And I never ever ever just have one drink. God willing, I’m going to get through this healthy, sober and with a clear head. And I’m not going to get sick. We can all do this together. You can too. Keep getting those feeling out on here.
:pray: :heart:

2 Likes

What helped me is this:

I read it here somewhere in a time I felt depressed myself.
I quit social media and limited my time on the news. I live in my own bubble now: my family and my work and this app.
That works for me.
Congratulations with your 130 days sober, awesome work to be proud of! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

4 Likes

Hey Brandos, 130 days are wonderful! I understand you, that overwhelming feeling of having no power over nothing.
It would be the easiest way of getting some drinks. But what then? Will they help? They won’t make this virus go away.
We’re all in this together, and we will fight it :fist_right:t2::fist_left:t2:
Stay strong!

1 Like

But we do have power! Over our own choices. Whether we pick up the bottle or not.

I totally get feeling out of control right now in society but we are the masters of our sobriety.

Maybe having just that one thing within our control is enough to keep us on the straight and narrow?

1 Like

Hey Lisa! This thought is the main one that is keeping me sober. I suffer with asthma and have had pneumonia once before and this covid 19 has me really scared, depressed and anxious. Knowing that if we drink we literally leave ourselves wide open and vulnerable to the virus is now a tool that I use when the voice in my head starts on. I’m not posting on here a lot but I’m here every day taking comfort in the fact that I have this place…we all are struggling one way or another during this weird time but we have each other and this forum!. Thanks for posting this @Brandos 130 days is mega! Stay strong my friend, TS has your back :wink::pray:t2::two_hearts: thanks for being here everyone… x

3 Likes

I can totally relate with you Sarah. I too suffer with asthma and get pneumonia at least once a year. It’s scares the crap out of me. My area has been hit very hard with covid and I’m not only worried about getting it but the hospitals are full and ventilators are in demand. I keep reminding myself that drinking during this may very well take my life. We can’t pick up no matter what!! Stay strong and don’t hesitate to reach out. :pray: :two_hearts:

1 Like

South Africa (Saatafrika) allowed sell of Alcohol btwn Monday- Wednesday. I dont encourage consuming of liquor for I too have chosen to go cold Turkey.
Alcohol, spoils alot in our lives.

2 Likes

No alcohol sales at all

1 Like

It’s scary times… but like you say we must stay strong. Thanks lovely, you stay safe also…we can do this…together x​:two_hearts::pray:t2:

2 Likes