Covid— my personal blessing in disguise?

@RosaCanDo amazing response!!! Totally agree and you said way better than I could have. Alyssa, don’t let anyone make you feel bad about turning a negative situation into a positive and whatever tools you use are YOURS. I have been in quarantine since dec 21st due to my children and hubby having Covid and quite frankly it’s helped me. I’m busy taking care of them and don’t have much space in my mind for bullshit, i.e. your brain telling you use, the constant mental struggle, is replaced with real world worry. I wish you the best of luck and :pray: you don’t have severe symptoms.

4 Likes

I agree that COVID is a terrible disease. But that doesn’t take away that it has been of help to you. I’m glad you’ve been able to take something positive from it

2 Likes

Suggestion: Switch to Theraflu. Same active ingredients, no alcohol, and the warmth of the hot liquid will ease chest congestion, sooth the throat.

For me, no alcohol means no alcohol. Alcohol is for cuts and sanitizing the hands. But I am me, and you are you. Your mileage may vary.

6 Likes

Finding the silver lining is never a bad idea :slightly_smiling_face:. I wish you well on your sobriety journey.

3 Likes

This is a good post. You’ve got people responding, and even when people come back a little harsh, they are reaffirming their personal position. Some people are dealing with some harsh realities.

I think a shot of NyQuil is fine, as long as you are fine with it. It’s your perspective that matters. If you’re anything like me, a 10% shot is about 1/4 of the way to a whole shot. So if you find yourself having 30 shots of NyQuil a night, you may have a problem there. :partying_face:

I also got sick when I quit alcohol and took NyQuil for my cough. It wasn’t a problem for me because I didn’t perceive it as a problem. I eventually stopped coughing, and stopped taking it.

I believe the key to sobriety is finding the path that works for you. Good luck!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve thought about deleting it, because I definitely am not trying to downplay covid at all. I know how scary and bad it is for people, I am just trying to find the positives here for my second time having covid :woozy_face::upside_down_face:

Thanks so much again for your reply :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I hope you don’t delete it. It’s a really valuable conversation and I agree with James @jbm555 that people come with their own perspectives (always) but the general message is one of support.

3 Likes

Love the Theraflu. Had a really bad cough a couple of months ago and a nice hot Theraflu with a little extra honey and lemon really seemed to help.

3 Likes

I love all your replies. Thank you for being supportive and insightful. This is definitely not my first time trying to get sober, but it’s my favorite time so far and finally feels like it’s my time.

Sleeping has been awful for me sobriety wise. I find myself waking up at 1 am and staying up until 4 because I haven’t drank fireball to make me sleep.

Now that my 3 year old is sick with me throwing up everywhere, I’m just thankful that I’m sober and present and not feeling like shit from the fireball and all the SUGAR in it and am here for him.

Again thank you all for listening and replying how you have I appreciate it all :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Ya keep it. The concept of Rock Bottom is interesting. They say you can’t quit until you hit it. Perhaps they are right, but perhaps Rock Bottom can just be a good kick in the pants that forces you to revaluate your life. Which Covid most certainly is. Make the most of it!

2 Likes

I’ve hit my rock bottom plenty of times. I have 3 DUIs, have pissed countless beds and couches, ruined relationships and am currently going through a divorce living at my moms quarantining in my 6 year old daughter’s bedroom :woozy_face:. Everyone’s rock bottom is different. Lol

7 Likes

I mix it with green tea. Does wonders.

2 Likes

This is true, for most it’s a grave for a few it’s a missed day of work or obligation, for most of us here it’s somewhere in the middle

4 Likes

Oh, I was talking to myself, don’t worry. That was pretty cathartic :grin:
Taking the good things from a bad situation is a proof of power imo. Take care

3 Likes

Honestly, when I got Covid was when I realized I had a genuine problem. I’m a boredom drinker and “drank beer for the taste.” So when I lost my sense of taste, why did I still want to drink? When I was exhausted and trying to sleep 18 hours, why did I still want to drink?

Find your positivity and then evaluate why it’s a positive! Staying away from your work place, as it is a source of temptation, is a good thing. But also might give you an indication there needs to be a career change to avoid that temptation in the future. Keep keeping on! You got this

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply!! I know in my heart I need to get out of the restaurant industry. I keep telling myself once my son is in kindergarten I will get a big girl job.

2 Likes

Sleep is such a funny thing. It’s an art sometimes. And like all art, some is better than others! :joy:

There’s lots of really good threads on sleep here. Here’s one:

Take care & take all the time you need. It’s a learning process. You’ll get there.

2 Likes

Allysaflory: I get what you’re saying. I have a stressful job I hate too. I had an accident at work that resulted in a broken leg, so I was at home recovering for about two and a half months. It was paradise…almost like a vacation, except with pain and physical therapy sessions. So yes, there IS a positive to being home sick.

Yes, I like it.
That’s what I call taking a sad song and making it better.

2 Likes

I tested positive last week too. Even though I’ve had three vaccines and looked after myself it still knocked me off my feet for over three days.
During the worst of it I made all kinds of promises to myself, starting with ‘if I get through this I wil…….’

One of those promises was to keep pushing forward with my new way of sober living.

2 Likes