Cravings after 8 months

My partner and I are planning a trip to London. It’s going to be a blast. To get excited for the trip we watched this old Travel Channel show where this woman explored the town. At almost every site she is having some kind of drink.

And it looks fun. Getting buzzed in a genuine pub and taking in the commotion. Trying a genuine whisky over in Scotland.

I’ve also been trying to wrangle an upgrade to a first class flight for cheap. It would be nice to lay down and get some fancy food. Of course they serve all kinds of booze there and in the airport club. I think drinks are half the reason anyone goes.

I’m writing all this out to be honest with myself. The woman on the travel channel seems to enjoy these things. They can be fun. But I’m not a person that can partake safely. Sometimes I get jealous. An 8 hour plane ride is probably more manageable with a stiff drink.

Now what I don’t miss about it: everything else. Because it’ll never just be one or two. My brain screams for more. It doesn’t make me sleepy. I get wired. Low grade manic. And if left to my own devices, black out. Two day hangover where I dread what I might have done, try to find my wallet and phone.

Somehow I am alive and not in jail but many many close calls, and one concussion. It’s frustrating and I feel silly it’s not something I can do safely.

My partner doesn’t like alcohol or even being around it. Sort of want to get to that mental space. I just know what the consequences are. That’s what stops me, mainly. But I’ll get there.

8 Likes

What a shit facet of human nature it is to want what you know you cant have…that cant have is just 1 thing though so the alternatives are numerous…draw a line in the sand that its just not an option for you, stop obsessing/romanticising about it and look toward the nice things that you can have and do instead…if your partner isnt into drinking why not plan out a non drinking trip im sure therel be plenty sober things to do in London if you look

2 Likes

Good to get this all out in the open and form a plan before you travel.

If you’re using an airline that you have status will you can note in your account that you’re a non drinker and they will not offer you alcohol. In first or business I usually speak with my host/hostess at the start of the flight and explain I don’t drink.

I live in london and as you may know, there is a drinking culture here. No denying it. BUT there is so much more to do. If you’d like any local tips feel free to drop me a message :+1:

Wishing you a sober trip

4 Likes

Those are great tips! I know there will be plenty to do, travel is just sort of a trigger. I don’t get triggered by much these days, and really admire my partner for never even thinking about it. I wanted to admit that I do and work on that.

Thanks!!