Cravings again

Only thing which stopped me cracking open a beer tonight was my boyfriend. I know it was a bad idea but i will admit if i had been on my own i dont think i would have been strong enough to say no. Then i probably would have had 10. Have been invited to a friends leaving party for drinks this weekend. Everyone will be drinking. Im not used to not drinking socially and i can be introverted and awkward to boot ergh :confused: feel awful cancelling but have been considering it to avoid booze

4 Likes

Avoid any situation that triggers your drinking, until u feel prepared that u will say no to alcohol. I haven’t gone out in two months and I’m doing fine and feel much better with out alcohol in my system.

1 Like

You got this! I am currently fighting a craving for wine. I was looking at cupcakes on Pinterest and saw one made with Moscato and started craving hard. But I’m 60 days sober today and have zero interest in giving up!
Ginger ale always helps me. I’m pretty sure there’s a scientific reason behind it, but if you ever have a craving, grab some ginger ale instead. Cravings don’t last long if you can fight through it

1 Like

I don’t understand what makes parties (in the accepted sense of the word) fun except with alcohol.

That probably makes me an alcoholic.

It’s best to rewire that brain first before venturing into no man’s land. While sober I managed to go to a bar and wanted nothing more than to GTFO. It’s not fun without drinks. Not yet anyways.

2 Likes

It will be a huge trigger for me but I feel really rude not going as ive known her for years. I feel like anything would sound like an excuse. Im considering going and saying im on antibiotics and cant drink

2 Likes

I have a 30th tomorrow and have had anxiety about it all week. I might use the antibiotics line also

1 Like

I know it’s hard. But, if you think you’ll drink you probably will. Avoid the triggers. Be strong.

Why not tell them the truth? If they’re really your friends they will support you. All of my closest friends know my decision towards alcohol now, and I’ve been invited to a Halloween party this month, they all understand that I won’t be drinking, no big deal. Most people have drinking friends and real friends. You realize who’s who once you decide to stop drinking.

2 Likes

Don’t cancel just because you’ll feel awkward or shy! You can do this! If it’s truly because of the drinking then I’d say avoid the situation, but if it’s an anxiety issue I say face it head on. You’ll be proud of yourself for accomplishing a difficult situation sober! I belive in you!

1 Like

Something that has worked for me in a similar situation is to put in an appearance but then have a ready excuse to leave early if I am feeling really vulnerable.
Good luck. Hope you have fun.