Cruising sober

Hello! Newbie here. 12 days sober from alcohol. I have a 4-day cruise coming up at the end of Feb. This will be my first alcohol-free cruise. I’m very nervous I’m going to fail the moment I step into that environment. I’m trying to stay positive and plan ahead (exercise in the AM, meditation, etc). Luckily one of the ladies I’m going with is pregnant, so she won’t be drinking, but the other girl is a bit of a heavy drinker. Any tips or advice for when those cravings and FOMO hit hard? The thought of waking up with no hangover is a huge motivator, but we all know how our brain gets when we’re in the middle of those bad cravings and peer pressure. Thanks for listening and any advice is much appreciated!

They have meetings on most cruises. Look for Friends of Bill W in the program schedule.

4 Likes

They do?? Wow, that’s awesome! I’ll definately check that out.

2 Likes

I’m right there with you. I have a 7 day cruise at the end of September and I’m stressing over it since my husband and I love to gamble. Ugh.

1 Like

I was wondering if they did. Not sure if I ever seen that before and I’ve been on a lot of cruises, but maybe its bc I was never looking for it.

Yes, they have meetings and you’ll hook up with other sober folks. They are 12 step meetings for AA, Alanon, OA, and NA all together. I bought myself a beverage card so I could drink all the specialty coffee I wanted. That was all the treat I needed.
I spent time in the spa area which was very quiet and soothing. You do YOU. Don’t worry about your drinking friend. She’ll meet people to drink with, and you’ll wake up refreshed every morning ready for another lovely day of adventure. AND remember the day before without quilt or shame. :unicorn:

3 Likes

Others beat me to it!! I remember seeing meetings on my honeymoon cruise.

Another good thing about cruises is that booze costs extra. Make a choice to buy yourself a fabulous souvenir instead.

3 Likes

Lol yes!! Retail therapy!!

Thought I would restart this thread I have a 12 day cruise coming up over Christmas with my family who are very aware I’m in AA and I have only been sober for 5months…I’m going to see if there are meetings for me as I could be ok for the first few days but will need support after that as I’m use to going to regular meetings and talking with other AA people…any good advice would be much appreicated…

1 Like

Look for “Friends of Bill W” in the daily program guide. Most ships have them. It’s an on-board meeting

1 Like

Yes, do that. It’s usually an open meeting for any kind of 12 step program like NA, AA, OA, Alanon. It was great to meet 12 steppers on the ship that I could connect with during the trip.