Cultural Differences-Your Perception Is Your Reality

Yeah, you can imagine my face when someone used the “little girl” term describing my daughter, when I was only familiar with the Polish meaning.

2 Likes

We do that too :joy:

1 Like

That look amazing :slight_smile:

I remember what I was thinking that very moment: the same higher power that created this, created me. I was so very thankful for 6 months of sobriety, and all the blessings that came with it.

4 Likes

I’ve got a few Swedish ones that’s becomes a bit strange in English.

Slut-Finish

Sex- 6 (yes the number, and yes sex also means sex as… in you know the adult thing :joy:)

Kock-Chef (and yes again, it sounds just like that)

Puss- Kiss

Kiss-Urine

Bra- Good

Fart-Speed

Farthinder- Road bump

Prick-Exactly (as in Prick 20.00 and that’ll mean exactly 20.00, but it also means dot)

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some if them :joy:

4 Likes

I was literally remembering that exact picture when I read this, glad you posted! :heart:

Great thread and great quote @Dejavu.

I always find other cultures SO fascinating! This forum helped me “see” much more of the world with friends all over and for this I am thankful. :heart:

3 Likes

OMG Thank you all for posting!! I was a bit nervous when I started this thread but had faith in everyone would make it educational. I have to admit, I got a little nervous there thinking…oh gosh where are we going with this? LOL! But everything was kept in preceptive. Every time someone posted something new, I thought THAT IS MY FAVORITE! Then another, THAT IS MY FAVORITE! LOL! I loved it all. I believe in the good of all and the beauty of the human spirit! If you think of anymore, share with us!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

5 Likes

Thanks for the thread Rebecca. I like. For me the most important thing is the open mind. We don’t need to travel physically to broaden our horizons IMO. In my life I learned the most from other cultures by reading literature. From all around the world, from Japan to Canada, from Russia to Chile and anywhere in between. I’m also living in a very culturally diverse city which helps me to meet people from different cultures all the time.
I actually travel mostly for nature. The Pacific Northwest is an excellent example of an area that broadens my mind by the incredible nature I have found there, from the pacific Coast to the mountains and forests and deserts. The pic is from 2018, hiking up Sleeping Beauty trail with Mt. Adams in the background. The size of the wilderness there is totally mind blowing for a guy like me from one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

Totally unrelated, but another language difference between Dutch Dutch and Flemish Dutch (@Naomi): poepen means taking a dump in Dutch Dutch while it means f*cking in Flemish Dutch. Rather confusing.

8 Likes

Excellent points! And I love the pic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too! You mention Canadian literature - do you mean fiction? What have you read?

I enjoy reading very much as well. I also enjoy museums, very very much (to the point I’ve requested that birthday and Christmas gifts be trips to art galleries and museums!). I love how a painting gives you a window into a moment in time, culture, and thought.

2 Likes

Yes to art, very much so! For me an advantage of the covid troubles is the current quiet in Amsterdam’s most popular museums. Finally I get the chance to really look at some of the greatest Dutch paintings, normally surrounded by throngs of people. The couple of very famous but small works by Vermeer in the Rijksmuseum. Seen it glancingly from a distance many many times, now for the first time I can sit down and just look at it for as long as I like…
As to Canadian literature, fiction indeed, first writer that comes to mind is Mordecai Richler. Really loved Solomon Gursky was Here. And more of his work. Has was my favourite writer for a while. I read and like Alice Munro. Loved a Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. And Life of Pi by Yann Martel although I didn’t know the last 2 were Canadian, I just looked that up.
This pic of Vermeer’s Street doesn’t do it any justice. It’s an incredible painting.

4 Likes

I love Washington, very beautiful and has a pretty diverse climate, some areas are hot and dry, some areas are very wet!

1 Like

Vermeer’s work always touches me in its intricate simplicity. And you are so blessed with art museums in Amsterdam. It must be wonderful having them less populated. My visit to your city is one of my travel highlights over the years. Magical and moving and goodness did I get lost trying to figure out the u shaped streets. I am not a city person at all, but Amsterdam holds a unique charm. The history was palpable and touched my heart deeply. :heart:

3 Likes

Wow! Your taste in Canadian literature is a cross section of my own. That’s a neat coincidence! :smile: One of my fave books is The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. Have you read that one by Richler?

And the art is magnificent. I love the art from that period in the Netherlands. Its detail brings out the pride the Dutch took in their emerging merchant class. The Netherlands has played such an important role as a centre of commerce and culture for so long - even to the present day :innocent:

2 Likes

What???
My years of learning Swedish fail me here :flushed: :smile:

1 Like

You are very worldy and wise Yoda I love it :grin:

2 Likes

Such handsome faces! :kissing_heart: :smile:

2 Likes

And I absolutely loved your country. Really enjoyed my time there.

2 Likes

Spelling error from my side I guess, I didn’t mean Finnish people, I mean finished as in the end :joy:

2 Likes

Aaahh!!! :rofl: :rofl: I thought this is maybe a Swedish slang thing I wasn’t aware of :joy: :joy: All good! Thanks Tomi! @Mephistopheles

2 Likes