Cultural Differences-Your Perception Is Your Reality

Nope usually we don’t really comment about anyone being from Finland either. Probably because it’s really common,and because most people who does do speaks Swedish too. So we don’t notice :joy:

2 Likes

Exactly :blush:
Or empty, or out of, it’s over or out of function to old. You speak Swedish too so you get it :joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: I’ll correct that

1 Like

I have 10. And it’s the Netherlands, not Holland…

2 Likes

I will notify the creator Jan. 10 is awesome for a 17 year old!

2 Likes

Maybe it is just Holland they are asking Jan. As in Noord en Zuid :crazy_face:.

3 Likes

52 for me.

3 Likes

It’s not that rare for Europians. It’s below average for my age here I think. We don’t live in a country made of 50 countries. I can cycle 2 hours and I’m in Germany. 12 hours cycling I’m in Belgium. 18 Hours to Denmark. 22 to France. The Netherlands is so small that LA and all the attached cities are 1.5 times as big as my province.

2 Likes

they better lol. It really bothers me when people say it wrong for some reason lol

2 Likes

43 is my number.

1 Like

69 !
but I am 55.

1 Like

Man I need to get out more! :slight_smile: :rofl:

When I worked in China as an English teacher in a local Chinese high school students used to ask me “what is Canadian food” and they’d say “is it McDonalds?” and I’d say “No, no, no, no, no” - but I was amazed at how widespread the idea is, that hamburgers are what people in North America eat all the time.

And I thought, what is Canadian food? I mean when I was growing up we’d eat all kinds of stuff, lots of meat and potatoes, chicken, sandwiches, roasts; all that stuff is kind of British and generally European (although the potato - the humble potato - is a South American item), but what is Canadian?

Generally a lot of Canadian stuff is what European farmers made with local ingredients when they were farming here, so for example a meat pie from Québec called “tourtière” is a delicious treat my family still enjoys every Christmas.

Anyway it was fun correcting my students’ ideas about what people in North America eat all the time :innocent:

2 Likes

Hey Matt! This has been one of my favorite threads ever!! Thank you for giving it some CPR :grin: When the Zoom crew did some cooking Zooms, I needed to come up with some U.S. American dishes to teach everyone. Lawdy, I couldn’t come up with any that weren’t pretty much European based!! My maternal side is culturally Mexican-American, so I ended up teaching everyone Albondigas and Mexican rice lol! @Milele requested apple pie. But I usually buy it and not make it :rofl: Yes, McDonald’s please lol!!
So on my way to Ireland at the end of the month, I’m spending the day in Toronto. Can I get one of those “tourtières” around there? I’d love to try one!! :yum:

3 Likes

I can’t find any sit-down restaurant recommendations - there are loads of Quebecois restaurants in Quebec but they’re harder to find outside French Canada - but there are some good takeaway places in Toronto where you can get a tourtiere. This one looks good and has really good reviews:

There are some other recommendations here:

Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

I’m all for the Spanish siesta ! Wishing we could adopt it officially here in Australia! :joy:

I love Mexican culture and their way of honouring loved ones who’ve passed like with Día de los Muertos.

Have deep appreciation and respect for Māori culture - it’s part of my heritage :new_zealand: enjoying a hangi or seeing a Haka make me feel closer to who I am

I love British sense of humour.

Americans make darn good entertainment too - especially love the flair for over-the-top action.

I love Pacific Islanders sense of belonging and family and the deep devotion given.

The beautiful simplicity I’ve experienced in places like Bali & Thailand have brought me such peace and joy. In many places like these, I’ve learned that to have more we simply need to want for less.

4 Likes

I thought all of Canada was French :wink::smile: Jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you for the recommendations! I’ve only been to Vancouver Airport so I’m looking forward to checking out the area.

1 Like

Tomi I want you to wear that shirt on the Zoom tomorrow k?

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!! It comes with peace I think. And peace comes with sobriety :heart::heart::heart: Love it!!

2 Likes

Yes and teach us how the Finns dance :man_dancing:
FickleGoldenDevilfish-size_restricted

1 Like