Cutting family ties to adjust to sober living

How do I explain to my parents that addiction/ sobriety and working on yourself is the best thing for me? I can’t find a way to explain to my parents that I’m growing out of the shell I molded of myself. I learned at an early age that you can’t trust the ones you love because they are the ones who abused me or let things happen to me. The years of abuse caused me to learn how to mask my feeling and watch my reactions because all of my reactions had actions. I have and had suffered through many things as much of us have. This year I’m choosing to get clean by myself. by removing myself from everything I have known to be love, home, some security, and have grown to be and what I have become. My brother lost his battle to addiction 4 years ago. At the age of 31. This year I’m turning 31. I choose to turn that leaf because I can’t keep doing this to myself or others. I want to defeat the demons that I have been holding me back. The ones I chose to entertain for so dang long. I’m ready to burn and turn into ashes or dust if I must. To become this newly molded person I’m honestly kinda falling in love with. My heart is also in pieces because I know at this time in life with the struggles I have and the struggles my daughter has (separate struggles). I’m not strong enough as her only parent to step up and be there for her. As a result of my use and abuse to my body and self I chose. I am now dealing with the consequences. I know she is in good hand and it being taken care of but it kills me not being able to be there right by her side to help guide her because at this time I’m not physically, emotionally, or mentally capable of that. I’m taking responsibility of my actions and paying the consequences for the stubbornness of not only myself but my addiction! GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU WILLING TO HELP AHEAD OF TIME!

3 Likes

It’s hard

I did it 2.5 years ago, and it did make things incredibly difficult, I have 2 boys that I have an incredible relationship with and in the midst of it we lost contact, my parents where not supportive of me getting sober at all so that was an easy decision unfortunately, parts of me always wished we could resolve our issues, but I don’t think it will ever be.

I don’t know how old your daughter is, but my boys were old enough to understand what was going on, they were mad, upset and happy all at the same time, they knew I needed time to find myself in a sober life, Become not only the parent I wanted to be, but needed to be, now we are closer than ever, not a day goes by we don’t talk, FaceTime or plan visits

2 Likes

It takes a lot of courage and strength to what you’re going through. It’s admirable that you’re aware of the fact that it is time for yourself before you can take care of your daughter. It doesn’t take away the fact that it is not a great feeling.

I had several long time rehabs of which two were in-house. unfortunately he witnessed me in some horrible states of being, not very desirable for a young kid to see, that’s an understatement.

It will all be for the better, my connection with him is stronger then ever. It is quality over quantity. Lately some therapists (session with my son and mother) even mentioned that the dynamics between me and him are way better than with his mother and asked why he didn’t live with me :sob:.

Broke my heart but I’m not there yet to take fully care of him….,just takes time to heal properly and start leaving my life and put my own parents on a distance. It might be impossible to explain it to them why sobriety is crucial. In my case I have the impression they think they failed or something …they still keep it silent to other family members :face_vomiting:

Take your time and have faith in the process :pray:

1 Like

I am the only parent my daughter has. Her father passed away over a year ago. It just gets harder and harder

1 Like