Cycling advice

I use to cycle and climb quite regularly… However following two bereavements about 8 years ago I stopped cycling completely.

So now I’m getting my bike serviced but don’t have a clue how unfit I will be. I do knkw my legs will be empty on hills completely. Any advice appreciated. I wasn’t sure if someone had had a similar journey

6 Likes

It will come back to you. The first couple of times will be hard. Just do it and take it easy to begin with. Glad to see you back to cycling.

5 Likes

Hi,
I’ve just done exactly the same. Had my bike serviced a few weeks ago and am now out and about. I’m probably around your age and wasn’t sure how it’d go either. But it’s been good. I started off with 30 mins or so for the first few outings but have increased to around an hour. Worst thing about it is the state of the roads, so dangerous for cyclists.
Let us know how you get on

3 Likes

Will do

Thanks for the feedback

I’ve read some articles and watched some u tube and it says forget what u could do and just enjoy what u can. And proteins… And rest.
I think my next bike may be a ebike :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I’ve had this exactly.

My advice would be to try to remember the first time you got into it. When you probably weren’t bothered about milage and had no big hills to compare to, and were just enjoying it for the sake of it and loving being outside. Don’t compare your achievements to before or it could just make you sad.

2 Likes

My past life was cycling in the peak district, long routes, lots of hills and some glorious surroundings

My hope is to explore Cornwall and cut myself some slack :)just waiting to hear how. Much it will cost to get my bike roadworthy. Probably alot less than I spent on wine most months

1 Like

I started at the same place in 2017. Hadn’t cycled in years but knew I still loved it. Got myself a bike and rode after work and weekends when I could. In 2020 I rode about 7,000kms for the year. Point being it’s a great thing if you love it. I started relatively small and worked my way up to long rides, loving every minute of it. I lost about 30lbs doing it as well. It’s great for my mental health too. And you’re cycling in your spare time instead of drinking!

2 Likes

I am dreading the feeling of empty legs when I hit some hills but I hope that passes. If it doesn’t I will be patient . There are some amazing coastal roads I want to explore. I generally cycled on my own and I liked that. I don’t think I ever left the house in bad weather but got caught so often in rain and in the winter whatever nature could conjure up. I have tried dieting but I don’t think I want to each much less. So the best solution is to burn it off :slight_smile: I wonder how old a bike is before its a classic as mine must be approaching 15! But I know it sounds odd I don’t want to replace it. It was like a loyal labrador. Always reliable and always a bucket load quicker than I was :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have my '95 Kona Explosif! You may end up wanting more than one bike lol. In cycling it’s called N+1, meaning you always want 1 more. I now have 6 bikes!

Just keep at it and your legs & lungs will show up. A year after I was back into it I had started a hill climbing competition amongst friends. I love hills :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bikes going to cost about 250 to get it back on the road and a week or so to be done. I can’t wait to be honest to see it looking a bit like new.

If I get another bike say next year I may get an ebike

1 Like

That sounds about right for cost and time for a tune-up. You mentioned you like to explore. Have a look at Wandrer.earth. It’s all about finding new roads and areas to ride.

1 Like

Got a call from the bike shop. 245 pounds to sort it out. I can pick it up today. I’m looking forward to seeing it again and then getting out on it again. I will park in my mind what I could do, and focus on where I am and just try and enjoy it. I may cycle down to St Michael’s mount on the coast road.

1 Like