Day 1 guys x

Lots of crazy tales about vodka. Simplest solution is to abstain from it all together right. Welcome aboard and happy to have you along for the ride!

3 Likes

Well done on 50 days also!!! X I hope I get there

1 Like

Hearing you relate to my story actually means a lot to me. My biggest breakthrough came when I heard others talking about alcohol the way I thought about it. I knew for a long time it wasnā€™t right but there was that internal conversation always saying ā€œitā€™s not that badā€ or ā€œso you drink a bit much but your not an ADDICTā€. I decided to attend an AA meeting one night and could relate to everyone who spoke.

I know now that Iā€™m an addict. If there was any doubt in your mind, I hope hearing my story and relating to it gives you the same clarity.

Have enjoyed our exchange today. Hope you are doing well and heading towards day two. Stay strong and keep us posted.

I canā€™t wait to see your reply to this 49 days from now. You will be super proud of yourself I have no doubt.

Welcome Jo! Vodka was my vice too

1 Like

So relatable to your story, mine was wine and gin, and I often hid bottles from my partner in the drawers, my car, bottom of binsā€¦you name it Iā€™ve done it
Iā€™m also very violent when drunk, I have high anxiety and this escalates when drunk, plus add the fact that I was waiting for my partner to find my hidden bottles so I couldnā€™t concentrate at work!!
Well done for being here, it takes balls, Iā€™m on day 5 and still emotionally drained but ready to fight this once and for all!!! Keep talking xx

2 Likes

Xx I would make sure Iā€™d drank in the car before i entered the house incase there were no bottlesā€¦

Although wodka was also my choice, I donā€™t see any use in discussing the quantities used by each one of us. I always find it something close to glorification. But thatā€™s just my opinion.

1 Like

And of course welcome aboard, good you are here!

Iā€™m thankful we all have opinions otherwise the world would be so boring x I spoke about quantities because I think itā€™s important to understand that a glass, half a bottle, a full bottle may have been a problemā€¦ my consumption was different every night and that was down to what I could get my hands on!! I wanted to start off very honest in here and I had never ā€˜out loudā€™ admitted how much I drank so by telling people feels like I have made a huge breakthrough. My friends at work, family etc thought it was a drink at weekends or the occasional glassā€¦ and the relief and realism of saying ,I drank a third of a litre a night if not moreā€™ helped me, for once in my little cocooned life, realise I have a major problem with alcohol xx

2 Likes

I too finally came to realizations when I wrote on TS. I cried through writing my whole bio. But it felt good and I was relieved afterward. For a long time, whenever I felt weak, I pulled up that bio and read it. Keep your own testament of pain from alcohol accessible. It will help you through your journey :heart: Iā€™m glad you are here with us!

2 Likes

Indeed quantity might say something about the realization that itā€™s to much. That holds also for me. My point mainly holds for what comes next. Thought I had/have and not always stayed thoughts (read a lot of relapses resulted from those thoughts) and a lot of us might relate to

• I can drink a glass or two per week
  • I can drink only in the weekend
  • Iā€™ll drink during my holidays
  • Letā€™s have a drink when I turn 50
  • I can start drinking when I turn 85 (takes a while for that to happen :wink:).
  • Iā€™ll have a drink when my son graduates
  • I might drink again after a year sobriety.

All the above keep the addiction alive and top of mind no matter the quantity or the timeframe between the thought And intentional use of DOC. In all cases an addict stays slave of his/her addiction. Only cutting the chains and escape that selfmade prison is the way out. Thatā€™s a hell of a job, but one day at a time or even minutes.

1 Like