Day 1 - I am scared

Today is my first day sober. I am beyond scared.

I am doing this for my kids and my health.

I have to remember that.

:sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat:

I am worried I don’t know how to function around other people sober.

18 Likes

That’s the least of your worries.

Your first priority is to not drink, the rest will fall into place over time. It takes time, but eventually you will be fine around sober people.

It will be the intoxicated people that you will eventually have trouble being around

9 Likes

Glad to see you here welcome to this sober community, stick around, alot to read people who can offer support and suggestions to how we are all staying sober. Like the saying goes only thing to fear is fear itself its great to have you here with us all.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Welcome! It can for sure be scary at first. You’re in good company here; do lots of reading, reach out if you need help. There’s so much support here; it’s a great place. It’s awesome you’re wanting to make a change for the positive. Stick around!
Here’s a link to a thread that might be helpful.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Julia. Good to have you here.
So much amazing people and great info here. Have a look around
Take it one day at a time :pray: :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome :hugs: no need to be scared :heart:

3 Likes

Hi🙋‍♀️
Welcome, its great you found us here to be with you on your journey.
You may feel like you dont have the strength but you do, you have taken the first steps and your already doing it.
Remember we are all here to help you through the bad and good just keep reaching out.

6 Likes

You are in the best place possible. I have been here for a little over a week and my life has changed. The help, motivation, education and experience that is in this community is priceless. I stop in here numerous times throughout my day for help, guidance and honesty. Day one is a huge accomplishment it is truly the first day of the rest of your beautiful life. Welcome!

5 Likes

We have been exactly where you are feeling exactly the same thing. I had to learn who I really was after I became the sober Frank. It will take some time but you’ll get there. If you have not alone so look into AA and get a sponsor. She will help you.

Keep reading and posting. We say its one day at a time. But sometimes its one hour, one minute, or even one second at a time. It will become easier.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! It will be okay just take it one day at a time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Congrats on day 1 and for making the decision to change your life for the better and be present for your children :tada:

You’ll never regret going to bed sober.

Stick around, read a lot, reach out if you’re struggling. I love this place and everyone here.

:blue_heart:

3 Likes

Hey there! Welcome!

Yes, this is a very scary journey to begin, but in time you will see it is one of the best things you can do for not only your health and kids, but for yourself mentally and (if you chose) spiritually.

I agree with @Farmer that you should definitely read the AA book! It was and is the MOST eye opening thing I’ve read basically about myself. I think you too could read and see yourself nodding your head in agreement. It gives you tools and stories that will help you tremendously.

I’m so glad you have joined this forum. I think you will see that it indeed can be extremely helpful. Ask for help when needed, read other peoples posts, be honest. No one will judge you here. I lay it out all the time and I always feel nothing but support and I hope you will feel it to!

If you need anything I’m here!

4 Likes

You can do this. I’m proud of you for trying.

1 Like

Come back to this forum regularly. I can’t even describe how much these people have helped me already. I’m almost 5 days clean and every day is just as hard as the last but remind yourself why you are doing it, remind yourself WHO you are. Your not a quitter , I mean technically you are but you know what I mean :rofl: you got this, stand tall and be strong. Life is what you make it and if you chose to put yourself in a “this will be easy” mindset it WILL be that much easier. You got this :heart: Stay strong. We’re ALL here if you need anything

3 Likes