Day 1 intro

Hi everyone. I guess I just wanted to introduce myself. I downloaded the app the other day and got to 2 days sober. Had a few beers last night and am now on day 1 again. I’ve been reading through the posts the last few days, started listening to a podcast I’ve been enjoying, and even googled a few local AA meetings though I don’t know if I can bring myself to go. I thought I was doing pretty good but then the stress of a regular day just got to me. Work stress, kids acting up, relationship issues… and I just said fuck it. Went and grabbed a few beers from 7/11.

A little background on me. I’ve always known I was an alcoholic. I’m naturally shy and it makes me more social. It’s a way for me to unwind. I’ve tried to quit here and there over the last 9-10 years or so, but I’ve never really wanted to give it up forever and always made excuses. The last few years have been rough… as they have for everyone else. And lately it just feels like my life is falling apart. Over the last year I just found myself drinking more and more, and worst of all, hiding it. My wake up call was when I left work early to pound 3 beers in 45 mins and then go drive my kids home. I’ve never been so ashamed in my life. Nothing happened, and nobody knows. But I know. And I’m lucky I’ve made it this far with no serious fuck ups (from my drinking at least). I need to stop and I don’t know how. So I’m starting day 1 again and hoping I can find a way to kick this before it’s too late.

Reading through all these posts the last few days has been really helpful and I’ve read many stories that I can relate to and it’s brought me some hope. So I just wanted to say thanks and hello.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. This place is a wonderful support but youve got to have the willingness to quit. Avoid triggers. Make plans to keep busy. Read and contribute when you can. Good luck!

2 Likes

This is a great place for bad days and non bad days. :hugs:

3 Likes

Me neither. It might sound simplistic or corny, but I’m not drinking today. I’m going to lay a sober head on my pillow tonight. I’m doing the things I need to do today to stay sober today.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed, today is the only time that we can take action to influence our lives in the present, and change our feelings and thoughts about the past and the future.

One day at a time. Sometimes 15 seconds at a time. That’s how I got sober, and if I stay sober today, odds are good that I’ll do the same type of things to stay sober tomorrow if it gets here.

Here’s a thread full of ideas for you.

4 Likes

Welcome to this community. It is a wonderful place to learn and grow in our understanding of addiction and sobriety.

I hope you find your way to make a decision to put yourself and your health ahead of everything else. When you do that, it will be easier and more effective to deal with life’s challenges and the responsibilities we have.

Please feel encouraged to keep reading, to try different strategies and to ask questions. Everyone here has been so kind and I know I e learned a lot here since I joined in late October. Quitting drinking is hard, but it is the best thing you can do for yourself!

Have a good day.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely look into this. I know I need to take it one day at a time. Today I won’t drink. It’s hard not to think about tomorrow though. But I have to try.

3 Likes

Just reading over the last few days has been eye opening already. I felt welcomed before I even posted lol

2 Likes

Welcome Arih.
I just saw you on the gratitude thread. Great bunch of addicts there every day grateful for another day sober.

I’m very active on here and this place, my God, my powerlessness over alcohol and gratitude have kept me sober 2 plus years now.

Here’s another thread if your interested.
Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.
:pray:t2::purple_heart::cactus:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m finding so much great information on here already and reading through other peoples struggles and successes has brought me a lot of hope. I’ll definitely have a read through.

2 Likes