Day 1 - trying to make this stick

Hi everyone. I have been on here for a few months reading through some of the posts and people’s stories first before i reached out and posted something myself.

I poured out all the leftover alcohol I had this morning and wrote a little bit in the journal portion of this app. I read through the beginners information on here and started to also look to see what meetings were near me as well.

These last few days were rough for me. I had a friend and coworker of mine tell me that there are people who think I am not doing well at my job. Looking back on it I know I haven’t been all present because of this addiction. I guess I’ve been trying to work on processing that and it hasn’t been the easiest.

I woke up today with a new found clarity of what I need to do for myself.

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself to the community as I am trying to make a real go of it this time. If anyone has any sort of thoughts or input on things I could try I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks everyone.

28 Likes

Welcome and keep participating! One great thread is the checking in daily thread where you can post how you’re doing.

5 Likes

Welcome! Checking in everyday has made a big difference for me this time in recovery. Glad you are here with us. :blush:

3 Likes

Welcome Dan.
I’m glad you checked in and shared. Sharing is the key. It can be a hard road to sobriety, but so worth it. I could not do it alone. Not once could I do it alone. And I tried millions of times to sober up. I needed support. When I finally got support was when I started being sober.

My best tool is gratitude. Every single day for 2 years I come on here and start my day with gratitude. Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery
I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober.
The door is always open. The coffee is always on.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

In recovery, we either learn to be grateful, or we don’t last. Gratitude is the air of recovery.

5 Likes

Welcome!! It isn’t easy, but it sure is worth it. Glad you are here!!

3 Likes

Well Dan, l don’t know you personally obviously, but already l can tell you that you have an enviable quality - PATIENCE!

This will hold you in good stead in regards to your sobriety. As they say in AA- ‘EASY DOES IT’ and ‘ONE DAY AT A TIME’.

Many of us have come undone in the early days, especially, because we want to achieve 30 years in 30 days.
We get frustrated and give in too quickly in trying to change something that has taken years, usually, to become a problem for us.

Looking at your profile, it tells me you joined in Sep ‘21, and as you say you’ve been ‘reading for a few months’.

That is amazing! I couldn’t wait five minutes to start posting my opinions and experiences,and l write as much as l speak to the point of being annoying to myself ,and readers, l am certain!

Hopefully you have found some of the information interesting and helpful for your future sobriety? So anyway, welcome, and l look forward to reading your posts.

P.S There are few worse feelings than being told you are not good at your job! Most of us addicts have low self esteem and confidence anyway, and being told that, it just cements that thought in our brain.

But just think, if you can remain sober, you will start to not only have more energy and motivation for work. You will have more clarity to be able to see if these claims are founded or not, what changes you may need to make to better yourself.

You may well decide that your company’s values may not align with yours, and move on to something else.

Speaking from experience, continuing with our DOC limits our choices and warps our perspective of what is real or not.

P.S l’m on Day 24 today, so really fresh to this app.

4 Likes

I think that friend who told you that was trying to BE a good friend.
I know personally I’m so much better at my job than before, even if I think I was doing fine! :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Welcome, I’m glad you have reached out.
This community is so supportive, it’s great you have worked your way around the site there is so much to read and so many people who are or have experienced what you are going through or similar.
Check in daily for support I’m glad your here :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome! Day 16 for me. I finally came to the point where I told myself that I am done, for sure this time. This is a wonderful forum. Read and be active.

3 Likes

Congrats on 16 days :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who responded. It makes me even more hopeful that I can do this. I hope to stay active in here and to get to know you all better as we travel on our journeys.

4 Likes

Hello Dan. How are you today?
Just checking in after reading your Day 1 post from January.

Sending you love and healing.

1 Like

Hi Paige,

Thanks for reaching out. I have had some ups and downs these past two months, but I am learning from my mistakes and relapses and am finding a better way for myself. Today marks a full week for me and I feel good in the tools I have learned that I can keep that day total to keep rising. It will always be a struggle, but learning about myself and the things I can do to try to avoid any issues have been an eye opening experience. I just keep taking it one day at a time.

I hope to continue seeing you around on here!

1 Like

Good for you for making a week!
Recovery, I’ve found isn’t only about getting clean. It’s a journey, a sharpening, crushing and enlightening.
I’ve come to see my own short comings and strengths can work together, simultaneously. I’ve learned so much about myself on this journey.
I believe there is beauty on the other side… If I keep putting one foot in front of the other , you too, we’ll be alright.

1 Like

Good job making it a whole week, just keep picking up tools to help you along in your recovery. Load up your tool box best you can and just keep taking it one step at a time.:+1:

1 Like