Day 10:Stressed ouuttt

It’s not even 5pm yet and I’m craving and stressing. I’ve got my routine down on cravings. They hit. I grab a juice box or a red bull, and read my relapse plan. Why I stopped. Why I shouldn’t do it again. The resources. And yet I feel like it’s all for nothing. I feel like nothing is going to change in my life so why not fall back into old habits?
I need to remember this is a process. My life isn’t gonna magically poof in ten days. It takes time and work. And that ok. I just feel like such a failure for not having everything I was gonna do to help me stay sober done. Like deep cleaning my room so there isn’t any empty bottles so I don’t even see them. Or cleaning out all my mason jars that have the engraved labels of liquor on them. I know I will get it done. But I’m frustrated because I didn’t do them when I planned to. I know I’m ranting but I just didn’t know where else to rant. Thanks for listening.

9 Likes

You’ve got this!!! You have done 10 days you can do 10 more…and then 10 more…so on and so on! Just try to keep busy. Distract yourself with tv or anything to help keep your mind going and off of alcohol.

2 Likes

This right here… is a lie that ur addicted self is telling u to get back to using. Dont fall for it. They call addiction, cunning, baffling and powerful and this is why… its very sneaky lol u didn’t become addicted in 1 day so it will take time like u said. Our bodies and brains need time to heal. We need to learn new coping skills that are healthy. But easy does it! Just focus on the 24 hours ahead. That’s it :slight_smile: it’s amazing that ur reaching out and seeking help :slight_smile: we are here for u!

4 Likes

10 days is a great milestone. We slowly pick up our lives in sobriety, you’ll get there. Just make the best of your life today, it’s all we really have anyway. Best wishes to you.

2 Likes

Hi Emilee, first of all congratulations on 10 days and no need to apologize for the rant! 5:00 pm approx used to be my regular drinking time. I used to get home from work, and open a bottle of wine every day. I already started thinking about whether it would be red or white round noon… It was like Groundhog Day. I don’t know your habits, but you need a plan for those tough moments when cravings hit. It certainly gets better with time!
Whenever you crave, come to the forum to vent, there is always someone to chat!
Maybe try reading on the subject; I recommend “Quit like a woman” or “This naked mind” (that one was a real game changer for me). Wishing you the best! :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Lots of good advice already.
Mine would be…
Drink two pints of water.
Listen to a this naked mind life story podcast - you can have that downloaded in seconds.
Maybe avoid drinking the Red Bull. That fills me with anxiety, and anxiety makes me want to drink.
10 days is the biggest milestone of them all - because that’s how long alcohol stays in your system. Of course your body is craving today, because it is really down to the last fumes. If you can get beyond today, you are going to be 100% in control.
I know it sounds stupid, but try to enjoy the cravings. Lean into them. Turn towards them. They are proof that you are winning and that your inner alcoholic is really struggling.
Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Nice to see you on here, Tony!

@WitchyKitty one way to lean into the cravings is to keep a little notebook. Write in the date, time, what’s happening internally and externally, rate the craving on 1-10. You might find the feeling fading before you even get it all noted down.

3 Likes