Day 16 🤦‍♀️

16 days sober and the past 2 days have been hell… been in such a bad mood. Super snappy about everything. When I get up at 5:30 in the morning I crave vodka!! I wish I could sleep the bad days away… not sure how my husband put up with me yesterday… I had nothing to be mad about but I was! I hate feeling this way… :woman_facepalming: any other time he would of said you need to go take a sip, but he didn’t! he’s trying to be strong for me and dealing with the moods… and I feel shitty for it.

10 Likes

Physical activity can be good for getting past cravings, working out, walking, hiking, rock wall, bicycle ride, something to burn off energy. That’s great you were able to stay sober, count it as a win

2 Likes

This is totally normal in early recovery. It’s partly physical: the brain is overcompensating with signals because you’re normally numbing them with alcohol (for which the brain has been compensating for years; it’s used to it).

Ride the wave. (And kudos to your husband for recognizing your desire to stay sober & healthy.) Some people here go for long walks, hours, listening to music; others do podcasts; others join meetings, 3-5 meetings a day if necessary (there’s no limit & they’re free - it’s a good way to pass the time and to feel heard, and not alone):
Online meeting resources

Take care & remember: you’re a good person who deserves a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your 16 days Nicole that’s great!!
Ya, I was apologizing to my wife constantly for being snarky, angry asshole all the time. I was so pissed off I can’t drink like a normie. I got a great angry gangsta rap playlist or 2 or 3 and I would plug myself in and power walk my angry ass off twice a day around the neighborhood. Eminem got me through a lot of shit back in the early weeks. And showers. 2 long hot showers every day. I always took one around 5 when I’d usually be starting the cocktail hour. I’d get nice and relaxed to begin cooking dinner with my wine glass full of sparkling water. Keep up the great work. You’re worth it. And it does get easier.
We won’t drink today! Ok :ok_hand:
:pray:t2::heart::rose:

6 Likes

It ain’t gonna be easy but it’s worth it. Don’t lose those days. Trust me it only gets worse, lost 456 days because I just couldn’t stand the grouchy days, or the normal everyday shit life throws at us lol. Yeah well now I can’t handle life or put the alcohol and drugs down. Idk relapse isn’t worth it

7 Likes

17 days I’m right there with you !
I’m feeling all the feels and emotions again it’s raw it’s real it’s SOBRIETY and this journey is one heck of a ride but we got this kudos for staying strong and resisting those urges to use right there with you !

2 Likes

Feelings are fluid, they come and go. The more you try to fight them the more uncomfortable they will feel.
Those snappy reactions though have been tamed as my recovery has progressed so just hang on tight. Eventually with patience and perseverance they will for you too.
What helps me is to be very self aware, our body cues us before we blow up like that. As you feel your heart race, your body temp raise, your fists clench… whatever your cues maybe… that is your chance to interupt the cycle. Literally step away. Get an ice pack put it on the back of your neck. Run your hands and forearms under cold water. There are a lot of ways to get your body to calm so that you can control your reaction.
Find what works for you and catch yourself before you lose your shit. It takes practice so be kind to yourself while you are learning. Congrats on your days.
:blush:

3 Likes

Well done on 16 days. Now I know what to expect in 14 days or so! At least you’re there already. Stay :muscle:.

1 Like