Day 2 and already finding it hard

I decided I have an alcohol problem many months ago… in fact I’ve been here so many times. This time I pray I can stay strong. My problem in the past I think has been denial and that I can just have one drink and be ok but it never will just be one drink. I’m ashamed of myself and joined this app in the hope that I can gain some insight and advice as to how the hell im gonna do this right for the last time. Please if anyone has any helpful advice on how to deal with urges that would be amazing and also what to do if someone has a drink around me as this almost always leads me to drink. Family and friends don’t know I have this issue so I’m finding that hard to approach…hope I haven’t rambled too much I’m just so lost right now and hope I can put an end to this horrible addiction :disappointed:

4 Likes

Maybe try a meeting? AA keeps me sober on a daily basis. I wish you well!

1 Like

Hello and welcome,
If I have cravings I try to distract myself. I go for a walk or watch Netflix, etc. Anything you like exept picking up that first drink.
When you have more sober time the urges become less.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. Search any questions you may have by using the magnifying glass at the top.
There’s lots of information and advice on here that helped me when I first started.
I found it so much easier after I told my family the whole truth about the fact that I am an alcoholic. It was liberating and took away the need to hide anything. Which after all is what I had been doing for years.
It so much easier when you finally admit what is happening to you. Just by surrendering to this fact helped me tremendously.
Yes you will have urges to drink. You just have to fight them.
I found it so much easier at first to stay away from temptation completely. Which for me ment staying home for Christmas and New year.
Ultimately you have to accept that there will be some major changes in your life, because you will find it hard if you’re not prepared to try anything. Your sobriety should be #1 on your list of priorities and nothing else should get in the way. Believe me you will find it harder if you don’t except this.

4 Likes

I dont do meetings, sober 9 months yesterday. It took a lot of change, strength, desire, devotion, perseverance, awareness, self-awareness, vision, self-forgiveness, adaptation, love, support, wisdom and most importantly, HELP. Most of what it takes is within ourselves, we just had to search a little harder to find it. What isn’t in us can be found through a fellowship of like minded individuals. You can find them here or there, but find them, they can help carry the load when you need help. This place has truly done that for me. All the best to you, we hope to see you often.
I posted this this morning so I copied it to here, it about sums things up…

4 Likes

It may sound cliche, but you have admitted you have a problem and that is often the hardest part. If you want to better understand your dependence on alcohol and why it’s so hard to break the evil cycle, I highly recommend you read the book “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. It literally changed my life. And I also tried to quit drinking for varying periods of time, thinking I could return to drinking “in moderation”. It’s simply not possible. Check in often on the “Checking in daily” thread and be open and honest about your journey. Best of luck to you!!!

2 Likes

Welcome! This is a great first step. Read as much as you can on here, you will find great advice. Reach out often!

2 Likes

Thankyou all so much for the advice and encouragement- it’s really helped today so want to say a massive Thankyou! I went to the gym and cleaned my car but the main thing was I kept distracted and motivated. Although I know I will have days where this is not the case I’m grateful for the advice given on here. The weekends and the gatherings with be the hardest part which is why I’m going to stay away from friends who drink at the moment and focus on refocusing the craziness that my life has become. I know with time it will get easier just hope I can stick to it for longer than I have done before. Really appreciate you all taking the time to welcome me on here so Thankyou! :blush:

1 Like

Hello and welcome. The first step is realizing you have a problem. I was the same way when it came to friends and family not knowing the extent of my issue with drinking. When you talk to them about it keep in mind that some may say you are fine, even though you know you aren’t. My advice is to stay busy and pick up a hobby. Don’t fall back in and stay stong my friend!

Hey Cap’n,

I know a thing or two about shame. For me, it’s been the core of my being. The only thing that has ever made me change is the pain my shame has fostered.

Like an animal in a trap, I’d chew through my own leg if it meant the pain would ultimately stop. Of course, at a certain point, I’m gonna run outta limbs…

My beliefs and behaviors lead to pain. The pain lead to therapy. Therapy lead to AA. AA lead to sobriety.

30 years later, I am still clean - I won’t say sober, as that has more to do with sanity. Sanity comes and goes.

There’s a line in the AA Big Book which says something like, “Liquor was but a symptom. Now we had to get down to root causes…”

You’re 100% right. It’s $#@!ing HARD. Growth is not found in comfort. And, it’ll get harder before it gets better.

It will get better.

You will find your core. You will discover the good in you, the bad in you, and all that falls in between.

What you dont understand yet is this:

The you you hate today is not as bad as you think.

The good in you you doubt even exists? You’re going to discover it.

In the end, you’re going to accept yourself, and discover you’re not the terrible wretch you like to think you are.

It will take time.

Don’t quit now…

1 Like