Day 2 🤪 and I'm struggling

Well only day 2 and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to tell myself no to a drink, going through a separation is hard and all I want to do is numb the pain, but the drink bought me here in the first place, why do I want to go back to it for comfort knowing I’ll be angry and ashamed of my self the next day!!!

5 Likes

That’s called playing your tape to the end and it’s so important to be able to do that! Realising that alcohol is actually something that causes discomfort. Have you heard of a book called This Naked Mind? It might be worth checking out.

There is an FAQs thread which has links to lots of useful threads, or you can use the search bar :mag: if you want to find out about something particular. Read, read and read some more, knowing there are other people going through the same thing can be a great comfort. Keep checking in and reach out whenever you need to!

Sounds like you’ve got a lot going on, being sober will be a helpful step in being able to deal with it all. I hope the separation works out for the best, whatever that looks like.

4 Likes

You have taught your “primitive brain” that you need it. It is a monster that senses how serious you are. Tell it, “no”. It is paralyzed without your hands picking up that first drink. Day 2. LET’S GO.

4 Likes

You can get through this day. It is just one day. Come on here to vent all you need to. Go to a meeting. Walk until your feet hurt (maybe leve your money at home so you dont get tempted to pop into a bar on the way). Do anything you can and need to not to drink today.

I’m early in my sobriety too and for me this means hitting the gym, drinking gallons of coffee and eating sweets by the fistful.

Good luck!

3 Likes

It’s gallons of tea for me lol

1 Like

Thank you, I have been saying this daily for a while now :heart:

1 Like

In the early days, I often found myself in a battle with myself. I’d walk partway to the store for alcohol, turn around to head home, turn back to the store, etc. Until no to drinking and going back home won.
Once my better self got the upper hand, it got easier.
I am currently reading Everything is F°cked, A Book About Hope by Mark Manson.
He has some great things to say about our thinking brain vs. our feeling brain…our Conciousness Car vs our Clown Car.
You might like reading parts or all of this book.

4 Likes

Agree with @sprinkles here. It was a constant battle in the early days to mentally retrain my brain to not think of picking up the minute that I felt down, happy, or because there was a Y in the day.
The more you win the easier it gets. It is a normal part of the process. You just have to start thinking differently.
Stay strong and focused :grinning:

1 Like