Day 24 - Is it normal to be this tired?

I’m on Day 24(!), and feeling much, much better. I still itch all over at night, but it no longer feels like insects crawling all over me, and I can fall asleep through it.

…which brings me to my question: I’m tired most of the day, and I find myself going to bed relatively early and waking up late. A month ago, I’d easily drink a pint of spirits as a quick nightcap (after heavier drinking earlier) just before midnight, stumble out of bed at 5:00 am, go to work and somehow give the appearance of functioning well.

Now, I’m falling asleep on the sofa at 9:00 pm and struggling to wake up at 7:00 am. I’m sleeping really soundly and the nightmares have stopped, so I’m enjoying it on some level. But when I wake up I’m exhausted, and I’m really sluggish at work. I even find myself nodding off during meetings. Even though I’m sober, I find it hard to concentrate. Forget reading a book; I can’t sit through a long email without yawning…

I’m eating well, drinking tons of water, popping vitamins and running / cycling a few times a week. Lost half a stone as well! I don’t really know what’s going on with my body…

Is any of this normal? Should I be worried?

Crosby

7 Likes

I slept tons (once I was able to sleep) my first 6-9 months. For me, my body needed a long time, and a lot of rest, to heal properly.

3 Likes

I was exhausted for months. I think it all depends on the person and your use, how long, how hard, etc etc. Your body and mind are healing and that takes time. As they say, sleep when tired and eat when hungry. And congrats on your 24 days, that is pretty fantastic!

4 Likes

Well done Crosby. 24 days is good going.
Yes, in my experience it’s normal. I was tired for a couple of months, my sleep pattern was all over the place.
All I can say is be kind to yourself and accept that for a while at least you can feel all over the place.
One day I suddenly realised that I didn’t feel like it anymore. It was kinda just like that.
Stay strong buddy.

4 Likes

I’m on day 20 and feel the same way. It’s been so hard for me to wake up in the mornings even though I’ve had plenty of great sleep. And as my day progresses I get so drained. You’re def not alone in feeling tired :sleeping:

3 Likes

To put your mind at ease, might not hurt to get your bloodwork done. Could be something as simple as being anemic. Sounds like you are incredibly healthy, but it sucks to be tired when there is so much to do. Hope it gets better.

6 Likes

Great idea!!

2 Likes

No worries, it’s absolutely normal! Your body is still adjusting and that takes time. If you’re still this tired after 3 months I would check my bloodwork if I were you. Are you taking any supplements? A vitamin B complex can help because we ex drinkers can have a low amount of that because of the drinking.

Congratulations with your sober days! :tada:

2 Likes