Day 3..... again

Hey there family. This is day three of another attempt to be sober. This is not an easy thing to do, not will I try and give my story in a way to invoke pity. But I will say that this has to euro this time.

I’ve been using alcohol as an escape from all the things going on my life for far longer that I care to admit. But after looking in the mirror real hard at myself, I know that a change needs to happen.

I hope you have a safe new year, be well.

9 Likes

Welcome! This is a great place to come too! Be active, be open.

2 Likes

Hello, I have also started over several times. But like they say, fall down 7 times get up 8. Good luck to you :purple_heart:

1 Like

Ya know, I’ve said that phrase s few times. We’ll see how it goes this time :grin:

Welcome! What have tried in the past and what are you going to change this time?

Here’s a link you may find helpful.
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

1 Like

Distraction and willpower. But, having adhd I become manic about things sometimes and think I can handle things when I can’t

I’d rather see someone have multiple day 3s than fail once and just totally give up.
It takes time and you have to find the path that works best for you. If killing an addiction was easy we wouldn’t have the group support here.
Keep trying and keep faith in yourself, you CAN get through this

2 Likes

Willpower only works for a short period of time. It’s not a solution for long term sobriety because as time goes on we tend to remember what alcohol did for us rather than what it did to us. Getting to the root causes of why you drink and changing those behaviors is a much better solution. I was able to do this with the help of AA but there are many programs out there if it’s not for you. Others have had success with the help of a therapist. Best wishes on your journey.

5 Likes

Appreciate that. The ironic part is I used to be a drug and alcohol counselor😅. I guess we’re all susceptible. AA meeting we’re always so sad and the faith part was a turn off for because I’m my beliefs. But do need an accountability partner for sure

1 Like

Try meetings plenty of programs out there ,i found AA meetings helpfull and looked forward to going never had a sad one yet , good network is needed and plenty phone numbers ,and i didnt care if god was mentioned or not i wanted to get sober and would have gone to any lengths to do so Desire and effort wish you well

2 Likes

This is my 3rd attempt at sobriety, sheer willpower alone didn’t work the last 2times so I’m utilizing more tools this go around. I’m on day 11.