Day 3 and feeling fomo

On day 3 and feeling confident but for those 3 days each day someone has asked me to hangout and more than likely to drink. I havent told anyone my goals on being sober mostly because I’m constantly saying I’m going sober and fall off so no one really takes me seriously so I don’t feel the need to tell them this time. I want to be able to tell them but most of my friendships I feel are based around alcohol and I think best thing I do is distance myself without reason. Is that what I should be doing?

2 Likes

Yep! It’s probably a really good time to tuck in and stay away from drinking environments and people.

As far as FOMO, I am not sure how old you are or how long you’ve been drinking, but I have had enough to drink for two or three lifetimes. I am not missing out. Actually, I am fully aware of everything that’s going on around me. I was missing out on a lot while I was drinking.

Stay strong. “Step into” a meeting - online or in person. There won’t be any drinking there.

5 Likes

Join an online group, talk with them! It is a sober community - friends who understand and support you:
Online meeting resources

2 Likes

I know the feeling for sure. It’s like one of the many reasons when I say oh I’ll quit on Monday and then go nuts throughout the weekend. Can miss out with a good buzz on a weekend right? Today I decided that shit ain’t gonna work anymore for me, because it’s never just the weekend and Mondays quitting never happens.
I love my family and friends, but a lot of what we do together when we hang is drink - a lot. I’m in the same boat as you and have decided to kinda keep this one to myself and my husband and allow some distance to really focus on these goals. Small goals is what I’ve set for myself today. At work right now, but have continuously been scrolling through this board reading everyone’s posts. When I’m off, the tree I was suppose to put up two weeks ago is going up and then getting a little hair coloring practice in. Gotta keep my hands and mind from being idle until bedtime. Can’t wait to wake up with some type of clear head!

Keep your head up, you’re not alone in your feelings!

5 Likes

People places and things need to change to aid successful sobriety.
And the need to rethink the whole missing out on things.
In time you are going to gain so much more!

3 Likes

Exactly, im a hair stylist too just the environment is hard. Clients always wanting to get a drink after work or friends walking by and stopping in telling me to meet up once I’m off. Always the urge to go out but I appreciate you responding, it helped!

1 Like

For being almost 30 ive definitely learned its fomo until I get there and then its the same friends and same heavy drinking and same conversations. Waking up feeling refreshed is definitely something I’m looking forward to. Thanks for reaching out.

1 Like

Aww I’m glad I found your post! I feel ya, there’s a lot we encounter in the hair industry. So many different personalities and exposure to it all! But it’s all not worth your sobriety. Believe me, I hit 33, and my body’s reaction to the drink is not like it was in my 20’s. It’s telling me I need to stop.

Message me anytime. I’m new to this but we can talk hair or whatever :wink:

You’ll find out your real friends when you’re sober!
I’m proud of you for trying again and being here!
Welcome!:raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

I don’t know if I can say that you should or shouldn’t do it that way, but that’s how I did it, and for those exact same reasons. I didn’t tell anyone because I had failed to stay sober every time I tried. But I’ve been sober for 400 days now, so maybe keeping it to yourself might help in the beginning? Only you can know that for sure, i think. :smirk:

2 Likes

I’m glad you found it too! Always down for talking hair, newbies in it to win it! Haha thanks again just the first couple days in its already a weird adjustment but im excited for whats to come.

That’s great to hear it’s working for you, hopefully works the same for me too. I love my group of friends but they’re always telling me I don’t have an issue and trying to get me to go out and when im drinking so much to where I don’t remember anything thats a problem for me. Real friends will eventually support me on my decision! Thank you!

1 Like

Congrats on the 400 days thats amazing!! Thank you for the motivation! :grin:

1 Like

Blackouts more turn into jokes for them but for me being the one blacking out i get myself in very sketchy situations luckily I haven’t had anything bad happen my friends say I have a halo because if anyone else would do the shit I do they wouldn’t be so lucky. I laught about it with them but overall it’s scary and I don’t want to be that person. With this group of friends it mostly all about booze now. In nebraska and with it getting cold and nothing really open because of covid we just drink. We all talk about doing things like art nights but those nights turn into drinks.

Love your spirit Victoria! :heart: Keep us posted on how it’s going for you (and how that hair turned out! :wink:)
@Lind02 you are doing well to distance yourself from your drinking buddies. Invest in yourself and find new things you enjoy that don’t involve drinking. Soon you’ll see how much fun and satisfaction these will give you and it’ll root you stronger in your sobriety! All the best!

1 Like