Day 3 here I am and thinking…

So sleep was a bit better last night and feeling a bit more like normal, which leads me to thinking about how now the hard part comes of getting bored or feeling better so the thoughts of drinking or actually drinking happen. I’m figuring how this triggers but trying to combat them is another ball game. Doing a lot of positive affirmations. Reminding myself of my goals! Glad to have this platform to be held accountable! :slight_smile: thanks everybody let’s get us another day

10 Likes

Hi @Misheyyyyyy
Well done for choosing sobriety.
Here’s a list of tips I’ve put together (I’m copy n pasting it for everyone in their 1st few days) with the help of other friends on this path. Take from it anything that helps. Above all, stay here…we will help you. You’re in our boat now…the same boat we’re all in. Hope this helps:

1 Read Alcohol Explained by William Porter (you can get audio version from audible)
2 Go to as many aa meetings as you can. Listen, share if you feel OK to, engage, get phone numbers
3 Get busy. Housework, exercise, new hobby, gardening, baking, YouTube rapping, movies…anything. Don’t leave yourself any free time.
4 Be honest with yourself. Why are you stopping, how do you feel…
5 Read Alcohol Explained 2
6 stick to your decision to quit and never doubt or question it. You got it right.
7 If you do ever wobble or get tempted, ask yourself one simple question… What will it add? Will it make a good situation better? Will it make a bad situation better. My years of frequent horrid experiences have shown for me, the answer is it adds nothing and makes nothing better.
8 Stay here, keep reaching out, use your peers’ support and experience
9 help others as soon as you feel you can, even in the very early days. I’m only 13 days and honestly it’s helping me to help you. I can reread my advice to you and then reapply it to my own situation
10 Pray. Doesn’t matter if your not religious or don’t know who or what you’re praying to - I don’t, I could be praying to myself. But I’ve found over the past fortnight that getting on my knees, asking (out loud) for strength, asking for a sober day and then giving thanks for that strength and sobriety has felt extremely empowering.
EDIT: 11-14 thank you to Facebook friends:

11 Look for the fun in the journey!
12 Every day pay attention to what is improving. Even the little things, like being able to remember someone’s name after being introduced.
13. Make self care a priority; find the things that you can do to make yourself feel pampered and that will destress you in a healthy way.
14. Learn to identify and change your negative self talk.

4 Likes

simple go try a meeting might help wish you well

5 Likes

Yes please do. I’ve had two trys at sobriety, 10 months then 6 months and each time these exact feelings you’re describing get the better of me. We can only do it alone for so long.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
I got sober by growing my sobriety. I never had any luck with fighting the symptoms, I had to endure them while I worked on the real problems.

I used Antabuse, individual counseling, AA and intensive outpatient treatment, in that order. I also had built-in accountability, I had to check in sober every day at the police station. It’s better to use Talking Sober for that, than the courts!

Here’s some things other people here have had success doing to stay sober. Resources for our recovery

4 Likes

Day 3 also

5 Likes

I can attest to the above tips!

I couldn’t get past three days for the longest time and did the suggestions above (including aa meetings, working the twelve steps with a sponsor etc) and now I’m 897 days :heart: Don’t give up ever ever ever ever ever’

5 Likes

Hi Mishey,

I have had many day 3s. Day three was my drinking day normally. I would drink 6 to 8 beers every day three. I have listened to all the audio books I could find and took out of them bits here and there.
I listened to them mostly during the times that I would drink, 5pm to 8pm is the hardest. I biked more and fought through the first week which was the hardest for me. I didn’t want cravings to last forever and I don’t want to have an alcoholic identity for the rest of my life. I think you must change your identity. If you like you can ease into it and say to yourself “I am in recovery”. You will relapse but the times you do will be farther apart. Then you will move into saying to yourself “I am not a drinker”. In the recovery faze you will be bored and depressed. Just observe it and continue to listen to those books or go on walks. Vitamins, supplements (Internet search will give ideas), water and rest helped too. Once you leave the “I am in recovery” faze and take on the “I am not a drinker” identity and drinking is for other people who are struggling with a chemical dependency thought pattern then you will experience new brain patterns, stable mood and better sleep as time goes on. The bored moments are easily filled with brain filled and enjoyable activities that you will choose and come to you automatically. Once well into the “I am not a drinker” identity you will not need to consume your time or identity with alcohol anymore and you are free to be whomever you wish.

2 Likes

Day 4 today, tommorow starts a long weekened, getting scared🙏

1 Like