Day 3. New book I thought you guys should check out!

Its an amazing book. Has helped me look at alcohol diffrently already! We can do this!

Congratulations on 3 days. I also liked that book. It helped me to look at alcohol in a new perspective.
Glad you found it helpful too

1 Like

the only naked thing im not reading but eating lolshopping

2 Likes

a lot of people have really good opinions on her / her book! i get her emails and they’re pretty good, enough for me to open and read :grinning: i personally like russell brand’s book ‘recovery.’

2 Likes

I was thinking about Recovery

1 Like

highly recommend!

A very good book and really informative :+1:

A lot of his videos on you tube are good too

1 Like

yes! i follow him on instagram where he reposts them and its some of my favorite content.

1 Like

I own it but never read it and forgot about it. I remember buying it because he was upfront about his system being based on 12 steps

1 Like

Yes me too he’s made the twelve steps relevant for the 21st century. This naked mind is also a very good book and certainly have me a lot of food for thought.

I’ve been on this forum for 20 days now since I decided to quit drink and one thing I’ve noticed is that some people seem closed off to anything else but the AA.

I get it though because for people that have been sober for years due to AA and the teachings it brings its no wonder it’s held in such high regard. But to think that the AA is the only true sustainable way is to me very narrow minded given its age and the scientific research since it’s conception.

3 Likes

there have been many discussions on this forum in the short-ish time i’ve been here. and i think the general feedback is that ‘if it works, than it doesnt matter how you got there.’ buuut for folks on here who are looking for quick, efficient advice that they can use that very day, the most common piece of advice is to go to AA. its really accessible. i do agree with you though. there are a lot of folks who ride hard for AA. :woman_shrugging:

Yes and it helped me be sober for a year until I made the conscious decision to start drinking again this march.
This time I have decided to broaden my sources of information in an attempt to understand the why’s and hows. So far I’ve found it very beneficial to me and some of the stuff really resonates with me especially around the stuff I struggled with that the AA teaches.

2 Likes

I read The Naked Mind in early sobriety and found it very helpful. I am in the camp that reading anything and everything sobriety related that calls to you is good for your journey.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to quit and did a lot of research. It seems nothing comes close to AA’s success rate

2 Likes
1 Like

Really, because the stuff I’ve been reading, listening to and watching suggests the biggest number is people who quit from there own validity. I don’t think this works for everyone and in my own experience face to face discussion helped a lot.

1 Like

Great book :+1::+1: keep adding those days​:blush:

3 Likes

Thanks. Gives me something to listen to while I do stuff

I think it’s probably pretty difficult to put accurate numbers to it. And anyway I’m not sure what it even means to quit without AA. I’ve never been to an AA meeting but just through hanging around here I have picked up a lot of attitudes and helpful tips from people who have. I’m sure a lot of recovery resources are linked to the principles of the steps (as the steps are linked to other spiritual paths).

This thread has quite a few recommendations for books, podcasts, recovery networks. Worth checking out :blush:

Congrats on those first few days @Andrea_Sapp , keep checking in and reach out whenever you need to! :pray::sparkling_heart:

1 Like