Day 3 post break up & freshly sober, book suggestions?

Fresh out of a toxic relationship with a gambling addict & problem drinker/recreational drug user. I’m not physically addicted to booze but I’m definitely a guilt ridden binge drinker/self medicating & anything bad in my life, past & present can be attributed to alcohol abuse. So it’s gone. I’ve tried several times over 2 years to kick the habit. Last year I managed 6 months, then met this guy… ok folks, currently reading ‘The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober’ & absolutely loving it, any other favourite sober related bedtime reads!?

3 Likes

Pretty Intense

IF you want something to focus. It’s about transforming into a happier healthy person. Recipes and workouts included.
Also
Big magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
She talks about living a creative and passionate life, really encouraging.

They aren’t exactly sober related but they are all about living a happier life which helps with sobriety. It’s helped mine.

1 Like

Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual, by Jocko Willink.

2 Likes

Do you have the Big Book from AA? This has helped me so much but I did have another alcoholic guide me through it.

2 Likes

Oooo…this looks interesting! Thanks for the rec stevietee!

1 Like

I’d need to be convinced about the AA, I normally avoid anything which has even slightly religious connotations. I support anything which helps any individual I just don’t know if I would get the best I can from it. Then again I don’t know enough about the Book… I’ll have a look today! Thank you!

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

2 Likes

Thank you, Big Magic is in the post! I’m an Illustrator, seems relevant xxxx

Bedtime readings? Mmm…i would suggest read as many posts as you can in this forum…you Will find great life experiences…

1 Like

I found these helpful in the past although I’m in full relapse right now and with every relapse I need a new read and fresh motivation, so will be following this thread.
“The Sober Revolution - Calling Time on Wine O’Clock” by Sarah Turner, Lucy Rocca
"This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace.
“The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin.

3 Likes

Oooo thank you, I know of the Annie Grace book but haven’t got it yet. I already enjoyed The Sober Revolution, just ordered Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, saved a few other suggestions in this thread for next pay day. I feel my current read The Unexpected Joy of being sober is going to become my staple… I already know I’ll be reading this over again… it’s really resonated with me. I want that. I want it so badly (day 4 so can’t get hasty) but I think I’ve cracked it. Probably my 4th or 5th attempt but something feels different this time. Maybe the experience I’ve just had with my gambling addict ex & the effect alcohol has had on our relationship… I’m on my own path now, feels good. Wake up & try again!!! Good luck xxxx

2 Likes

I downloaded audible to listen to audio books while driving and such. Currently I’m listening to This Naked Mind control alcohol. So far I’m loving it!

Good luck, stay strong!

1 Like

‚The unexpected joy of being sober‘ sounds like a book I want to read. Never heard of it, but I am also very new to this. I don‘t have a suggestion, personally I have been looking for literature that explains the physical transformation that comes with being sober, that kind of stuff really motivates me.

1 Like

Awhile back I read a book called “forgiveness: how to make peace with your past and move on with your life.” It was good.

1 Like

Well I’m sure that everyone knows what I’m trying to say, but I suggest that you have a look at the books by Allen Carr. I downloaded his book on giving up drinking from Amazon (Kindle version) for under six euros, so certainly no great financial outlay! I found the book to be very useful, and as I have often repeated here on this site, the central idea that has stuck with me is the fact that (okay, well, two things that have stuck with me) firstly, if alcohol was so wonderful, then drinking 250 mL or so of PURE alcohol wouldn’t be any worse for you than drinking 250 mL of pure water or pure orange juice… instead, it would be about as bad as drinking 250 mL of petrol.
The other idea that really stuck with me was the fact that doing without drinking does not mean that we have to DEPRIVE ourselves of anything, rather that we are FREEING ourselves from years of BS and propaganda from alcohol / drug / cigarette (take your pick) companies, and even from potentially well-meaning friends and family members.
Despite my recent relapse after more than 120 days, I’ve adopted the notion of “not DEPRIVING but rather FREEING” as my more or less motto.
It helps me, I think… and so does coming to this forum.
The book is an easy read, but definitely worth it.

3 Likes

I’ll have a search x

I have read it, whilst living at an Ashram. Easy to stay sober in a booze free place around booze free people… however… I’m trying to master it in the busy buzz of western society, so hell bent on pushing alcohol as a reward & medicine rather than what it really is, like you say, in the book: a poison & something which dulls all senses. That stuck with me too! As did the Venus fly trap description & the sweet nectar metaphor!

Now THERE is something that I suspect really wouldn’t work for me… !
Forgive myself ??? I’m doing well if on any given day I don’t loathe myself…

Accidental saints
Barking to the choir

2 Likes

Your welcome and AA is also for the agnostic. There is a chapter on it. They just ask you to believe in a power greater than yourself. It is your choice what that is. Some have used the meetings such as power in numbers of people in the support of the group. I may not be explaining it well but hopefully it makes some sense.

2 Likes