Day 33, feels like I'm running out of steam

Just made it to 30 days for the first time (voluntarily) in 10+ years. I’m proud of myself and know it’s a huge accomplishment for me and I am excited about the potential of my future sober, I guess I’m just starting to feel the mental wear and tear of actually being sober all day every day and having to deal with all the emotions that are starting to come back to me. I super wish I could just skip ahead to some real significant clean time but I also know that I have to do the work to get the kind of life I want for myself. Don’t that just suck? Lol

6 Likes

It gets better. It’s not easy, but it gets better. I still have some struggle days at day 487, in fact last night and this morning were tough. But I’m at a point where I keep reminding myself - and I know for certain - my life is better sober. Much better. Keep on pushing - you’ve made it this far and you are doing great!

2 Likes

You ain’t kiddin, it’s tough, but so worth it! I struggle everyday with the power of sober emotions. One of many things that has helped me is to anticipate how much better I might feel tomorrow. Some days I win and feel better than ever, other days, not so much. The not so much days I tend to repeat ODAAT in my head. I guess I’m living in the moment day by day. I do find it getting easier as time goes on. Best of luck to you and congrats on 33 days of sobriety! :+1:t3::sunglasses:

1 Like

The one month is hard, i think it might even be called “The Wall” in one soberiety phases model. You got to get over the wall and onto the other side, it’ll probably take work! Especially because all these one month quitting things like “dry January” condition us to think a month is good enough. (It’s not)

Put in the work and get past the wall is well well worth the effort

2 Likes

Thank you, I like the thing about focusing on how much better tomorrow could be. Even if it doesn’t always work out that way, the general idea of focusing on the better things to come to get through the shittier parts of all this is basically the only way I’ve been able to cope so far haha

I feel like I’ve heard that before and honestly, it makes sense to me. Not a super patient person naturally especially when it comes to patience with myself, so part of me at this point is just tapping my foot and staring at the clock waiting for all this to be over. Of course, the rest of me knows it doesn’t work like that and that’s why I don’t always get along with myself :joy:

1 Like

Thanks so much! I think I’m just kind of coming to grips with the idea that getting sober doesn’t mean you stop struggling, and doing this for the rest of my life gets really overwhelming at times. But I try to remind myself that while things may never be easy, they will eventually get easier. Just gotta keep getting through one day at a time I suppose.

1 Like

Well im 23 days clean n cant stop waking up all hours of night. Barely went to sleep at 11 n been up twice already n then i am home all day n what to do? So I’m in meetings all day! But they are great ones anyway good luck to you!

2 Likes