Day 5, First post

I want to start by thanking everyone. I read the threads on here daily and you all inspire me. Today marks day 5 with out a drink and I feel pretty good. I’ve been a consistent 3 days on one day off 3 days on 1 day off for years and it was no longer the life style I wanted to live.

So far so good. I attended a funeral yesterday and afterwards was the celebration of life. While most others celebrated by having beers and such I enjoyed an Arnold Palmer. That was the first social setting and rather sad one that I have been to where I was strong enough to push the temptation aside.

Here’s where my brain is now, this weekend is our cities fair. This usually involves everyone at the beer tent having a grand time. I believe I am strong enough to enjoy with out grabbing a beer with everyone else but I do have that doubt in my head.

Any advice? I have never missed this event and I’d like to challenge my self.

Thank you so much again for being amazing, strong and inspiring individuals.

8 Likes

I would think long and hard about how much you want to go to the event, versus how much doubt you have. At days sober, and this event happening every year, do you want to risk it? You don’t have to be a hermit forever, but I certainly avoided events that were mostly drinking for several months.
If you insist on going, keep a non-alcoholic drink in your hand at all times, get your explanation for not drinking ready, and be willing to duck out if you start to feel tempted.

1 Like

My advice dont go if your still unsure

2 Likes

Amazing job on your 5 days of sobriety Steph! I am so sorry for your loss - but grateful that you were able to celebrate life after the funeral.
You know yourself the best and it was super hard to get past the 3 on 3 off cycle - you have finally made it to 5 days and do you really think that challenging yourself is wise?
I realize its an annual event that you have not missed but that does not mean you are bound to it.

Ask yourself why your mind is saying its a must go to - especially if you will spend most of your time in a beer tent. What fun will that be for you trying to constantly resist drinking. With more days under your belt these events will not be a trigger but for now I just wouldn’t torture myself.

It is really all up to you. If you do decide to go, a few things…
a. have a exit plan. DO not be the DD for everyone cause you should be able to leave when you feel the need
b. make sure you always have something to drink in hand so you are not tempted to drink alcohol
c. keep us with you and check in as often as you need Checking in daily to maintain focus #58

Should be super proud of your 5 days - keep em coming! Glad you are here with us as we are unable to battle this addiction solo.

1 Like

Here is your answer. Don’t test yourself on something you are so new to, that feels like self sabotage. Test yourself next year with some good sober days under you.

3 Likes

I agree with some of the people saying to not go. Temptation is a bitch. For me at least. My own problem in the past was “I’ll go and I’ll only drink seltzer water”. I was weak.

Staying away from the temptation is really key if you want to stay on this path.

2 Likes