Day#5 still sober but curious abt being around with drinking friends

I feel very light headed.
I wake up early than usual and without headache or heavy head.
Sleeping better.
Doing my work with better productivity than usual.
Procastination is minimum.
Relationship is going good.
Not getting angry at small things .
Cravings are not that strong.

But there is a wedding of a friend on 7th dec and I have to go. Friends are already planning to go a night earlier so that they can drink and have a quality time. I am afraid that I am going to drink with them although I have decided that I am not going to touch a drop but Any suggestions on how to be among others who are drinking and supposatly having good time and not dring. How to resist any trick ?

1 Like

There’s no reason to put yourself in this situation if you’re not capable of resisting the urges at this point. This is peer pressure at it’s worst.

What is more important to you right in this moment?

Challenging/testing your sobriety and progress, or staying healthy at home?

2 Likes

Hi Vikas, good to hear you want to stay sober, but you’re also afraid you will drink.
Personally I would not go the night before the wedding though. Look at it this way: that night before has one purpose, to drink. The day after has another, celebrate the marriage.
The fact you are asking questions about it feels like a warning sign. So again, I wouldn’t go. I can assure you it’s gonna be so worth it to be sober and fresh on the day of the wedding! You will be so proud of yourself if you don’t drink and I can assure you, it is totally possible to have a good time sober :blush:
Tbh, I had a relapse by having a glass of champagne on my bf’s wedding and it sucked hard…
About how to resist temptation: is there somebody in the group who can support youho knows you’re struggling with drinking?

2 Likes

Well, I would say drinking the night before sounds like anything but “quality time”, especially for you who have taken this huge step towards sobriety.

If you do go, take a twelve pack of soda or keep a large water bottle in your hand. I find that is a helpful trick for me on occasion, but I would seriously refrain from going up the night before. Just the fact that it’s late at night could trigger you :woman_shrugging:t3: make good choices, friend!!! You got this!

1 Like

Congrats on 5 days!
I wouldn’t go. It’s way too early in sobriety to be around friends drinking, especially at a wedding where the drinks are flowing.

As @Englishd always says and I 100% agree
There are only 2 events you must attend and that’s your wedding and funeral

Here’s a link to a great thread you may find useful.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the 5 days.
Everything @Lisa07 said!!
We going to be posting this a lot :wink:
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like