Day 8 of clean and sober

Im starting to feel alot of resentment to alot of people around me, they are all aware of the fact im trying to get sober, but continue to openly drink around me, talk about partying, smell like liquor, and cause me alot of frustration, even after i have asked if we could keep it to a minimum, am i wrong to feel this way? Am i selfish to ask them to respect my struggle? Its hard enough to get through the days and nights on my own without the temptation, i just feel really disrespected by alot of people i consider my close circle… tha ks for reading

Stay strong friends

3 Likes

I would honestly feel pretty disrespected also of I had asked others around me to not use or drink (especially if they knew about my recovery and still chose to do that). What was told to me however, is that we can not control others. As much as we’d like for others to respect our wishes, it may not happen (and in ur case it isn’t :frowning: ). All u CAN do is control yourself and ur actions so if that means possible distancing urself from them when they drink, that may be a good option. Resentment is the #1 cause of relapse they say. And bcuz this is upsetting u (as it would anyone in my opinion), it may be best to distance urself and continuing to focus on u. Maybe they will notice that u aren’t around as much any more and take a look at their actions. Idk. But ur important and ur recovery is important :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem being is its my business partner, and employee, who i am with 7 days a week generally

1 Like

Oh boy that’s a tough spot to be in. Especially since u need to be around them. Idk what would be the best course of actions. U can keep asking them not to drink around u, but if they don’t listen then this puts u in such a bad spot :frowning:

At a certain point, i have to be the asshole and tell them if they cant respect me, then there will be a big change in the employees working for my company

2 Likes

My husband continued to drink daily the first 2 years of my sobriety. What helped me was to think his alcohol wasn’t mine and I had no business touching it even though it was in arms reach constantly. It’s his home as much as it’s mine so who am I to tell him alcohol wasn’t allowed. Unfortunately, we can’t control others as much as we’d like to. I kept my focus on what I was trying accomplish and laughed at him every morning when he was fighting a hangover.

1 Like

It’s normal to feel disrespected because you expect them to be considerate because that’s what friends are for… but as being their friend you can’t expect them to change either because you made that choice alone. And as you’ve been told before that you cannot control other ppls actions, only your reaction. I think it makes you stronger to be on this sobriety journey still while being around it. You got this, with or without them! Plus you always got this app to vent to…