Day one didn’t work

Idk how to do this. I’m reading all these websites saying you can’t just stop if you are a heavy drinker. I can’t afford rehab. I am a heavy drinker. I haven’t had a nearly sober day in at least 9 years. I tried to wean…guess what, didn’t work. I bought set amount of alcohol and then I ordered more. And I still want more. Omg it’s such a problem. I feel so gross. How am I gonna stop this? I truly for the first time in my life am ready to give it up totally; I don’t want this anymore. I just can’t figure out how. I’m sorry :disappointed:

12 Likes

Have you looked into detox?

4 Likes

Can you go to your doctor and be honest about your issue?

3 Likes

I guess it really depends on how much you drank. Heavy could be anything. Still, I hardly know anyone on here who wasn’t a heavy drinker and didn’t stop cold turkey.

Talk to your doctor and if you’re worried you do a medical detox in the ER. Problem solved, in a few days you’re fine. By that I mean that then the work actually begins, but you won’t have to worry about danger.

Good luck.

5 Likes

I can’t get an appt with my PCP until October, and I can’t afford rehab so I gotta figure this out on my own. I want to do it. I’m gonna go to AA but right now, feels very lonely and idk how to detox.

5 Likes

This is a wonderful step

5 Likes

Everyone’s different. And it depends on a lot of factors. How often? How many? But also, it depends on how many times you have quit. The first time I quit cold turkey was the most I was drinking and it wasn’t that bad at all. But then, every single time I quit, it got worse and worse, it’s called the Kindling effect. Obviously, Doctor is the only one that would know best. How are you feeling today?

5 Likes

Hey you don’t need an appt w your doc to stop drinking. You can quit or taper, read up on what happens in withdrawal, what to expect and what to look out for and call an ambulance if you really feel to be in danger. Or just go to the ER and let them watch you the night.
You can surely reach ANY doc via telephone before October, like, today or tomorrow to discuss weaning off or dangers. There’s is also literally tons of info on this Forum if you use the :mag_right: up top to search for relevant keywords. Or plain old Google. First hit when I googled tapering off alcohol:

comes with an actual tapering schedule …

Here are resources you should definitely start perusing on top of stopping drinking itself.

Resources for our recovery

I feel like you need to take some action. AA will also be great. You’re not the first person with this issue and won’t be the last. Get going!

6 Likes

If you’re in the US, there are medical detox facilities (not rehab) for getting off alcohol. They might bill your insurance. Also, if you tell your PCP office that you need help with stopping alcohol, they’ll probably get you an answer much more quickly. It’s hard to talk about, but this is your life here.

Can you afford to keep drinking? It’s going to be less cost and more reward to stop, right?

8 Likes

Its a hard one. Habits and addictions are hard to break, especially when we feel alone and its like an automatic response.

AA is a beautiful place (it isnt the only way, so if you dont quite jive with it dont give up. I found for me in AA it was so helpful to find my people, who accepted that I was on my own journey…there can be some members who are very strict and sometimes they can be loud and scare people off, I was lucky to have others around me who just said that works for them find what works for you in here. Its a beautiful community, and if you read The Promises it will seem impossible…then one day its true). Just having others who can relate is so huge, and Im so glad I have found this site because I have been deeply missinf the commubity who understands my ism.

Im not sure about others, and everyone is different but for me its figuring out my triggers and then having things to help me cope with that. Replacing the behaviour is good too (like meetings, writing, running), but I found drinking to be a symptom of a problem within me that started long ago…so with help and support (a mentor or sponsor, or community - someone who has what you want [i.e., sobriety, or maybe more specifically to what you want]) I am looking at those things. The 12 steps are a really amazing tool whether you find yourself sticking around AA or not. It sounds like you know you are powerless, and step 2 is where I got stuck (Believed a power greater then us could restore us to sanity)…I am not sure if this makes sense to you, but its like I didnt have faith things could change, I wasnt sure I was worth it and if there was a God (if you believe in God) I wasnt sure he really cared or had much to say about where I was.

I was a daily drinker, who could not make it past 5 days sober. And making it to 5 days took everything in me. Id drink to black out almost every time and I wouldnt stop drinking till I hit the floor. I had no idea WHY I was doing this, or why I couldnt stop. I did not think it was possible and if anyone would have told me I would have put together 10 years (where amazing things happened to me; and I learned to live life), i would notbhave fucking believed them. I picked up a drink 7 years ago (to be honest I am not wanting to come off preachy here like Ibhavevall the answers for you), and it was very different. No obsession, no black outs, 2-4 beers every few months and a whole lot of questions around whether I was an alcoholic and why having children triggered the tho8ght of drinking in me…anyway, my drinking does notblook the same as it did before, but I am still alcoholic. Coming to terms with beinf at a new place in my journey, its all part of the road…

I appreciate so much your share and I hope that this I have shared does what I wanted whichbis to give hope. :heart: it is possible, even if it feels impossible.

5 Likes

***Oh sorrybjust to be clear, my drinking has escalated since my sister died and though its about once or twice a month, and not thebsame as whenbI was younger I see how I use it, I see the escape and I am alcoholic. I have had a new jounrey woth wherher I am powerless over alcohol or npt, which I never questipned before

2 Likes

Thank you Mira :heartpulse:That did not sound preachy at all. It does give me hope.

Thank you! I appreciate the response and article. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bobby. I woke up feeling more positive. I really am thankful for the replies and feeling like people really understand. I haven’t really admitted this stuff before because I have been afraid of being judged, but I haven’t felt that at all; actually embraced. I am tapering now and I made a therapy appt next week and want to start AA. Thank you :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sweetunspiteful, amazing steps. I wish you nothing but the very best. I hope you can be gentle with yourself on your own path and journey! Keep sharing and I will too :slight_smile:
Wish you the best!