Day one free from alcohol

Embrace that feeling different this time. Don’t stress over the relapse. It gave you a valuable lesson. You now know that “just one” is never just one. You now know that the five days you had basically ruined your drunk and that is a blessing in disguise. Keep on focusing one day at a time. We are here for you and cheering you on :heart:

1 Like

Your honesty should be commended! I I am only on my third week and I can tell you that right around in five days you were just about to really start reaping the benefits. Plus youlearned a valuable lesson with the toast of champagne. That is a perfect example of how our minds work of something totally harmless charts into something bigger. Just to make you feel better, one time I relapsed from watermelon! It’s true. I was at a graduation party and had about a month clean. I was enjoying some food and a soft drink and someone came by with a bowl of watermelon and was honest and said it was soaked in vodka and I thought well that can’t hurt it’s just food. That was the end of my sobriety for the night and probably for the next month…. Another time I picked up a six pack of nonalcoholic beer. I was a beer drinker exclusively in after one sip I felt buzzed and went right back to the gas station and picked up a real 12 pack. Two ways to look at this, one is how scary it is that just a little bit sets us off. The other is how simple it would have been for me to avoid the watermelon or the nonalcoholic beer…… Or a toast of champagne…. Welcome back to sobriety!

3 Likes

Proud of you, this site helped save my life! X

2 Likes

What are your strategies for day 1, 2, 3? For the first week? What would you recommend?

1 Like

Congratulations on your day 1!

For me the first weeks were about distraction, my body was not feeling well. Then when your body feels better the emotions you were numbing become the problem.

So brace yourself for feeling the pain you were probably using to forget - it may show up as cravings or excuses to use.

The nice part of deciding to be sober for me is there is no exhausting mental gymnastics about moderation. The decision is made to not drink and theres no bargaining “oh well at 6 i can, when i finish this task i can, on my day off i can until this time” while always breaking those promises.

Then its just day by day for a while - even if you have to sit and do nothing or remove yourself/block a tempting situation. Painting and tv helped for me. Movies. Sleep. Youre recovering from something life threatening, so take care of yourself. At some point youll be triggered by the alcohol in the grocery store, and later on it will be easier to walk past.

4 Likes