Day one of sobriety…again

Newbie here. This will be my third time trying to get sober. The last time I lasted 6 months but ended going out drinking with friends once a month and the spiraled into drinking multiple days a week.

Today I am nauseous and shaky. My anxiety is out of control. I was an embarrassing mess last night and I don’t know how to deal with it today. I want to curl up in a ball and hide.

I wish I could drink to make this all go away but I know it will just make it worse.

I don’t know how to deal with all of my anxiety in a healthy way and I don’t have anyone to talk to about these things

14 Likes

Sure you do. You have us. Welcome. As far as dealing with the anxiety and emotional turmoil I know it can be tough especially at the beginning but hang in there and it will get easier over time. One of the most important things we have to learn is how to deal with that. I’d suggest simple activities that help either distract from it or internalize it such as going for a walk at the park, watching TV, Journaling, meditation, playing a game, reading a book, scrolling through here to see what information and helpful tips you can gather, start a new hobby, etc. Really anything to take up the time you would otherwise spend drinking.

9 Likes

Thank you. I’m going to go for a walk to take my mind off of everything

6 Likes

Maybe try a meeting might help meet new sober friends wish you well

3 Likes

Hi @Koa and welcome aboard! As @Jackwoulf stated, you have the TS community to talk to when needed. Lots of people who get you with loads of helpful stories and advice to keep you going. With 6 months of sobriety in the bank, I’m sure you have some tools and skills to tackle it again. You’ve got this!

7 Likes

Welcome to this place. Lots of wonderful people and endless information. Read around, participate. This can be your place that helps you to stay sober

4 Likes

Welcome. We all go through these emotions. For me feeling embarrassed was pretty normal after a night out. You could try writing down how you feel right now and how drinking makes you feel. When you feel better and convince yourself you are well enough to start drinking again read how it made you feel before and how it will make you feel again. Decide which path you want to follow.

3 Likes

I dont much about you, but whats your thoughts on church?

Welcome @Koa to an awesome eclectic group of people from around the world who are working on recovery

Congrats on getting 6 months before. My recommendation would be to put as much energy into your recovery as you were your DOC (drug of choice)

What worked? What made you want to start drinking once a month with friends?

This place and aa have kept me sober for the longest ive been sober since i was 14. Recovery is possible. Its not easy but it is soooo worth it.

1 Like