Day One…thoughts on AA?

First of all, congratulations! AA is a great place to start. You don’t have to commit to a lifetime of meetings by calling, so I definitely recommend it.

3 Likes

Thanks Bobby. The whole thing is scary and I think is going to be really hard, but I think it will help if I can talk to other people who understand what it’s like to be addicted to something. I hope so anyway.

4 Likes

It is absolutely the best place to go. It will give you a look at how much damage alcohol can do and also how people can recover and feel great. You can also meet some sober people to do things like go out for pizza and such. I’m going to try to post a YouTube video of a late night show talk host and after watching this video, I decided to go up the street to my first AA meeting.

5 Likes

I haven’t attended an in-person meeting in a while, but one thing I remember most about them was this feeling of SAFETY I had when I was there. Nobody judges you. Everybody there shares that one common goal: to recover from their addictions, to heal. It felt like a safe haven. You don’t have to share until you feel ready to, but once you do it feels very cleansing. I’m a shy introverted person by nature, yet by my second visit I was ready to share. You’ll feel comfortable really quickly…at least I did.

6 Likes

Check it out, it’s light hearted, but he gets to a very big point at the end

4 Likes

Thanks William. I am really introverted too and have a lot of social anxiety so I’m nervous, but I think I need community that understand. When I try to talk to friends and family that drink but we not dependent on it, they just don’t get it.

5 Likes

Getting sober is uncomfortable no matter which way you do it. I do know that without AA and working the steps I would not have my amazing life or over 5.5 years sober.

For me I had to get over myself and my misconceptions before the program worked.

6 Likes

Congratulations! It gives me hope that it has worked for so many people.

4 Likes

I was a reluctant member at first. I was homeless, angry and afraid. But I kept showing up and I kept an open mind. Everyone was just endlessly nice to me, despite me being a grump. Eventually I got a sponsor and worked the steps and my life improved so much that I cannot even describe it with words

6 Likes

It didn’t work let me try again

Maybe the site does not allow YouTube videos

3 Likes

How long did it take before you felt better? The thought of life without drinking feels impossible.

2 Likes

Better is a subjective term. It’s a process though. Sometimes it might seem like it’s taking forever but as long as you stick with it your life will get better.

6 Likes

I went to AA and its worked for me maybe give it a try , Met Craig once at a Glasgow meeting

7 Likes

I think I am going to try it.

5 Likes

AA took some getting used to for me. After a few times it all felt normal, even the prayer at the end when I wasn’t sure what I believed in. I always felt more positive on the way home and started looking forward to going back.

That was during the darkest period. After losing a job and getting a DUI back to back. Giving up drinking, cigarettes, and addictive prescription drugs at the same time while wondering how to get myself together to pay the bills. I think AA helped more than I realized.

I think if I stuck with it I wouldn’t have relapsed. There were too many excuses. New job, meetings too far away, I’ve got this all under control, etc. It’s easy to get overconfident after a while and think you have all the answers then let your guard down.

6 Likes

Give it a chance, being uncomfortable won’t last long once you meet people.

2 Likes

GO! It saved my life.

5 Likes

AA is a lifesaver for so many. It’s a group of people that come together to understand and support each other. Nothing wrong or scary about that. Be brave, go and make the most of it :blush::heart:

7 Likes

Lol I usually recommend Allen Carr also. :grin: And always…

1 Like

Please try out a few different meetings…every one has its own feel. You dont have to bare your soul the first meeting. Just go and listen a few times.

I had challenged myself to go to 3 aa meetings when i knew i had a problem but couldnt stop. It didnt stick. But a couple years later and a very dark low had me desperate. The aa rooms were full of happy people hugging and laughing. They had to know something i didnt know. I stuck around. Found a sponsor at 60days sober. Went thru the 12 steps and i know a peace and joy i havent known as an adult.

AA gets a bad rap as a religious program thats all about god but ive come to learn its a spiritual program and you are encouraged to find your higher power. Spirituality doesnt always equal a religion.

I encourage you to be honest, open minded, and willing.

Plus, if you cant get to an in person meeting theres a really fun beginners online zoom at 8pm cst every day. They celebrate everyones day count before the topic. Heres the link…

5 Likes