Day Three! Nervous about working tonight...I'm a Bartender

After watching my husband detox in a hospital for 6 nights last week, I realized I didnt want to ever have to go through that, nor put my loved ones through it. It was the worst, most terrifying and trying week of my life. (Side note - started drinking as soon as he was discharged).
I went to my first AA meeting on Monday, and I know that I will be attending as often as I can.
Tonight is my first shift bartending sober. No more shots with co workers at the end of the night. Some words of advice, please? I will have my 24hr coin in my pocket, whichhas helped the last couple of days…I put my hand in my pocket and squeeze it when I feel an urge to drink.
Thank you for any words of wisdom you can share with me.

9 Likes

Welcome to the community Nicole - so glad to hear that you are working towards your sobriety and getting to the meetings to gain a irl support system. This community is amazing and offers so much support and advice - take some time to read through the threads.
The magnifying glass up top will help you search topics -type in Bartender to see what others have experienced and how they were able to maintain sobriety. It is not easy but it is most definitely possible.

For your shift today - are you able to dip out as soon as its over so you are not temped by the after work shots? Keep this app open and you can type HELP on the Checking in daily to maintain focus #56. This community is active 247 so someone will always be around.

Hope to see you around! Stay strong and a huge congrats on your new found sobriety

2 Likes

Thank you, JazzS!
It’s a small, independantly owned restaurant and bar, and a group of staff (me included) have always done a few shots as we do our closing duties.

2 Likes

That does make it harder but again not impossible - say you are just not up to it or take a shot of juice — i’ve found that i am more stressed of how people will react and then find out that it wasn’t that big of a deal - i do hope its the same for you.

In any case - we are here for you! I do hope the other threads may have some more insight for you. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

I’m also a server/bartender. On my 3rd day sober, still hallucinating, I had to bartend a 200 person party with a 3 hour open wine bar. Didn’t stop moving the whole time until we ran out of wine. To date, it was the worst night I’ve had at work. But not because I wanted a drink. It just sucked :tired_face:

Instead of going along with what we always did at the end of the night (shots with coworkers), I put it in my mind that this is my JOB. I never drank at my other jobs. They didn’t have alcohol. I punched in, did my job, and left. I also told everyone I decided to quit. I don’t know if that’s something you’re ready for, but it helped me. Everyone was very supportive. I’m fortunate that our GM has been sober almost 30 years and really understands all this.

I know you can make it through this. The more you tell yourself no, the easier it gets. Clutch that coin as often as you have to. I always have mine in my apron too :coin:

8 Likes

I’ve also thought of telling tham that after being in a hospital for 6 nights and watching my husband detox (it. Was. BRUTAL), that I’ve decided to lay off for a while.

Have been thinking that if i do a shot of juice, my brain will REALLY want a real shot…or 4. So, perhaps fist pump their shots when they cheers.

4 Likes

Thats perfect Nicola - I believe you have a solid plan. We will be around if you do need some support!

2 Likes

Holy crap, girl. I can’t even imagine working while still hallucinating :flushed:

My co workers are like family. We live in a small town and are mostly very close. I know they will understand. I think I’m more nervous telling them I’ve decided to be sober in case I fail at it, at which point I would feel so humiliated. :pensive::disappointed:

4 Likes

OMG I WANT A DRINK SO BAD!!! Such a hard fight right now. Im fighting that voice thats trlling me i can have just one…

3 Likes

Just one?? That’s a lie our addiction tells us. Stay strong, it does get easier.

2 Likes

I know it’s a lie. It would be like 4 shots then a glass.of wine…deep breaths. Thank you!!

3 Likes

Deep breathes indeed - how long is your shift?
We are right here for you. Focus on why you are not drinking and remind yourself of your husbands detox - hopefully these thoughts will keep the urges muffled.

1 Like

Shoft is ending. We all did our shots…but mine was gingerale!!! :+1::+1::+1::pray::pray::pray:

9 Likes

Not to be a downer…but based on the general consensus when it comes to recovery, a sober alcoholic working in a bar isn’t going to stay sober for long. If you are truly serious about getting and staying sober, you need to get serious about finding a new job.

So happy to hear this! Way to go - you kicked addictions ass today!
Have a wonderful sober slumber :sleeping::zzz:

1 Like

I have thought about finding a new job…I actually started browsing the other day. I do know it IS possible to be a sober bartender, just not sure if I can be one. Just going to take it day by day for now and keep looking for something else.

6 Likes

Just had milk and cookies instead of a couple of shots and a glass of wine. It was rough at times, but i made it through the shift and closing. I’m also TIRED and will fall asleep easily…and not because I’m passing out. Thank you for your encouragement today. It helped so much, and is greatly appreciated.
Sleepy time :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::pray:

4 Likes

I just got out of work myself. I’m happy to read you made it through! Seriously awesome stuff :+1:

3 Likes

THANK YOU! It was a hard battle at times, even early in the shift, when I usually never even think about drinking. Weird.

5 Likes

First of all, congratulations on making it through your shift without drinking! Proud of you!

It seems like it’s going to be a hard road given your line of work because the temptation is going to be a constant. While I can’t give any tips regarding surviving a bartend shift sober, I do have another tip that may just work for you!

I know not everyone has insurance but, if you happen to do have insurance, try talking to your primary care physician about prescribing Naltrexone. It’s for when you’re really struggling with cravings. And when you do have a drink while on the medication, it does something chemically to your brain where you don’t get the “high” from alcohol. So it essentially helps you lose your urge to keep drinking because it’s not as appealing. HOWEVER, be super careful on the dosage because it can get you VERY sick & dizzy (like it did to me :woozy_face::nauseated_face:). So consult the dosage with your doctor and test it out on a day you’re not working (and when you don’t plan to drive anywhere).

GOOD LUCK! :two_hearts:

2 Likes