Dealcoholized wine

I 100000% agree with this!!! If you aren’t sure then don’t do it.

2 Likes

Thank you Mike for pointing that out. We are all different and unique.(my concern was more with the romancing of the drink) I should have said that’s exactly what happened to me and many people that I know. Apologies my friend.

P. S. I still like your sunglasses. :rofl:

3 Likes

I am 15 days sober and I purchased some of the NA wine this past weekend to give it a try… it straight up tastes like just juice. (I guess that’s what wine is without the alcohol, lol…) But It doesn’t taste like wine at all. And there is no way you would catch a buzz even if you slammed the whole bottle. There’s close to 0% alcohol. You’d get a buzz from Kombucha before the NA wine. However for me, I guess I enjoyed the “ritual” of pouring it into a nice wine glass and enjoying it with dinner. It felt like a special drink but I felt good knowing it was harmless and that I was making a healthy decision. I prob won’t buy any more bc I wasn’t head over heels about it, but I guess it is all about where you are in your journey and how “in control” you feel… If it would be triggering or not, etc.

4 Likes

Nah for sure I get that. I didn’t try them untill about 80 days sober so I felt safe. I don’t think I would of tried them earlier tho, and for me after my long bike rides was when I was romancing the real stuff the most so I would drink 1 or 2 na and it would take that feeling away. For sure we are all different, I might try getting some seltser drinks next time… and I have to ask are you picking on my sunglasses :joy: or actually being serious lol

2 Likes

I personally dont see NA drinks desirable but I did find, while I was pregnant (and still an alcoholic) that sparkling juices were very nice. No alcohol whatsoever but you can put it in a champagne glass, add some berries, and it tastes lovely. Where I work we do the same when we have non-alcoholic baby/bridal showers. Still feels fancy but nothing that should trigger you(I dont think). I understand the need to have variety in what you drink now bc sometimes coffee, tea, or sodas just dont do it. Hope this may help you lady. You’re doing awesome!

3 Likes

Love the sunglasses they’re hella cool. :eyeglasses: they probably wouldn’t look good on me, I’m an old man. I stick to my true and tried Ray-Bans. LOL :sunglasses:
As for me I try to steer clear of NA beer/wines because it scares the hell out of me that it might wake up a craving. Then if I think about it long enough I can justify anything. I just don’t want to go down that road or put myself through the mental anguish. I have lost too much and came too far to even take that chance. Have a great evening Mike and thank you for sharing in this thread. Stay safe my friend.

4 Likes

I drink mocktails. Tonic and some kind of juice. I love grapefruit juice.

1 Like

Why oh why would you take such a chance? 137 days sober, and you want a drink!
Do you have a Big Book? and if so have you read the first 164 pages! Have you read Bill’s story? Do you understand what he was saying.
It is written in More About Alcoholism we MUST NOT have any reservations about alcohol/they MUST be smashed, how do we smash them, we use the steps each day.
We run everything through the steps, a thought becomes an action, unless followed by another thought, please have another thought.
It’s a life or death decision/ you might get away with it this time, for alcohol is a subtle foe -page 85 BB - but it will take you.
Peace in the fellowship. Gerry

When you’re talking about people and psychology there’s no black and white… It’s all grey area… And everyone here is on a different point in a spectrum. Multiple spectrums I may add. There isn’t a right or wrong to this, it’s dependent on each individual. What may work for one person may be detrimental to the next. As long as real alcohol isn’t ingested I think it’s a win. Everyone needs to do what is right for them. There isn’t ever going to be one rulebook to rule us all.

4 Likes

I drink seedlip which mimics gin. I’ve had nonalcoholic champagne on special occasions. However, I would not recommend it for everyone. For me, it does not make me crave. If you’re questioning it, it’s probably a deeper itch your trying to scratch other than just wanting to try some nonalcoholic wine.

3 Likes

I think self care is important, whether or not you truly feel the impact of it without alcohol is completely up to you. I am in agreement though with most of these guys, I drank to get drunk. Having one glass is not an option. Only you know you.

1 Like

I haven’t been sober for really long, day 18 today.

But for some occasions like cookouts and celebrations I do have some non alcoholic prosecco (No secco) and last time I had a non alcohol beer. I didn’t trigger me to drink, but I did learn that I actually doesn’t like beer at all, I liked the buzz, not the bitter taste. And it feels good ti know. The nosecco however is harder, but it works fine to get rid of the craving and give a luxurious feeling for me. But I still try to look for different options like sodas I haven’t tried yet.

I tried them the last 2 times i had good stints of sobriety, both of those times ended in relapse. I think it was because i was romancing the drink. Romancing the drink led to NA beers which led to real beers. I personally will not entertain the idea this time and have my longest and strongest stint of sobriety in my life.

3 Likes

Pretty spot on to whats worked for me too.

3 Likes

So glad you said this @anon60334405, as I decided yesterday afternoon that I “needed” a hit (of wine) and had some alcohol-free wine and didn’t actually enjoy it, then on reflection realised what had happened and consciously decided I don’t want the wines at all. Tea will do nicely, thank you :coffee:
Totally get how some people need to steer clear though.

3 Likes

Flavored sparkling water for the win. :+1:

3 Likes

I am nearing a year sober after nearly fifty the other way. I like being sober and I like the taste of beer. Lucky for me there are some really tasty NAs being brewed these days. That said,if you are asking now, maybe you should leave it alone.

3 Likes

I really just wanted to say one last thing. Not to argue or disagree with anyone, but some ppls repsones saying omg why would u want to do that. U need to pick up a.a book or go to a meeting would of seriously angered me want to do it even more or better yet actually get the real stuff. Why? Bc you told me no, we tend to forget that us addicts when told no want to do the complete opposite and go out and do it even more, you made her feel like she was wrong for wanting to try a n.a beer, it has 0.05 percent which literally you would have to drink like 130 glasses to even make one glass of real wine. I really understood everyone’s concern, but in my perspective on how I see things, whether you’re drinking sparkling water, or mixing up you’re drink you’re doing it bc why? You’re romancing alcohol, and personally I romancing it riding my bike, going for a jog that demon plays with my mind all the time no matter what I’m doing. Or for some of us I think we make are minds up on a relapse before anything. For me the n.a gives me that yucky taste I pound it down and instantly realize how yucky it is and why I hated alcohol… I know my a.a counselor that I had told me if I ever told him I wanted to drink he would tell me to out and do it. Go party and have a good time and get ahold of me tomorrow. He never got to tell me that, but I liked his reasoning with it… Was that when you tell a addict no don’t do that don’t go party or drink n.a or don’t do this, you actually trigger them more. So that is just my perspective on it and I’m not trying to argue with anyone, I’m very hummble about everything and do realise we are all different and have different approach. But I did want to say that telling somebody no what are you thinking that’s crazy don’t do that is triggering.

13 Likes

I really appreciate this perspective this morning.

2 Likes

It’s honestly different for everyone.
Some can drink it and have no problems. Some drink it once and crave the real thing.
Some don’t find the risk worth it to test, some find they miss the feeling of having a drink with friends. Or at home watching a movie.
It’s all up to you and how your body is.
For some they can’t even drink out of glasses that they would normally drink alcohol out of. For others we drink our day to day things out of our fancy glasses (all new of course)
Some can handle drinking a mocktail which in reality would make some others want the real drink because if made correct they can taste exactly like the real deal.

Every addict is different. There is no wrong way of doing it as long as you are staying sober❤️

As for me I drink my caffeinated orange juice or my almond milk out of my fancy glasses :heart_eyes:
Some would say it resembles a mimosa to much and they couldn’t do it 🤷

2 Likes