Dealcoholized wine

Help me here.

I have been thinking about enjoying a glass of dealcoholized wine from time to time. I really did enjoy a glass at night in the past when I was not mentally checked out.

I have a few concerns/questions hang with me while I sound crazy.

1. A concern is that the behavior/act of will lead to drinking the real stuff.

2. That the little bit of alcohol in the wine will make my body crave wine and relapse.

Now that I’m writing this of course I can’t think of the other things…I will add them later below as we chat.

6 Likes

I drank to get drunk, so drinking nonalcoholic beer brings more frustration than joy, so its not for me. But that’s just me.

8 Likes

I do occasionally drink n.a beers. It has not made me relapse, but I can see you’re concerns as I do slug them when I drink them just like if it were the real stuff. I will only drink 2 or 3 and literally very occasionally when I’m really in a shitty mood or feel like I deserve a “drink”. It also has 0.05 percent alcohol and in no way triggered me or made me want alcohol or madee feel anything. You are very smart, I think it’s personally ok to try it and being as tho and go from there if once you get it and feel it’s a trigger get it out and don’t try it again

6 Likes

Every time this comes up I give the same answer.

There are those of us that believe that we as alcoholics have something akin to an allergy to alcohol. If we consume even the smallest amount it May trigger a craving that is beyond our control.

Do I have this allergy? I don’t know. But I’m sure not willing to find out :wink:

17 Likes

Personally I don’t think I’d be able to control myself with NA beer or wine. Definitely not liquor “if there even is a thing.” When I drank, I drank for the sole purpose of getting drunk. I didn’t like the taste. But the feeling I’d was all I wanted. If I were to try it, I believe I’d wake up my inner demon and fall right off the wagon. I’m just speaking for myself tho.
Best wishes :v:

3 Likes

Everybody is different, but for me NA Wine and NA Beer… is still Beer or Wine (by name), without the alcohol… I personally prefer not to drink it for that reason… I would still be mimicking the old habit. I also hate to pay out all that money, when it’s not the real thing.

3 Likes

All of the things above where what I was trying to say.

For I’m really in the fence with this one. 137 days ago I would have said nope don’t do it.

Like lastnight for example I did a hair treatment, face mask and painted my nails. Lit my favorite candle and put some netflix on. It would have been nice to have a glass of it. So it got me thinking more about it. Which led to researching it and smudging my nails.

Now here I am posting here.

3 Likes

I’m a wine snob too. My major in college was viticulture and wine production.

1 Like

I put milk in mine and enjoy my cookies in my beautiful hand blown glass from a local artist.

3 Likes

I tried N/A beers and wines when I was trying to moderate. All they did was make me crave the real thing. I haven’t had an N/A beer or wine since going sober, because of my previous experience. I don’t plan to take this chance either.

But I am me, and you are you. Your mileage may vary.

5 Likes

It’s a slippery slope Randa, I would advise not taking the chance. If you are alcoholic you are playing Russian roulette. Just drink grape juice.

I enjoy Pellegrino with lemon…

4 Likes

Try POM pomegranate juice, or tart cherry juice mixed 60/30 with water. The first has a fat fruity cabernet flavor and the second a pinot noir flavor. Neither is wine, or has ever been wine.

6 Likes

N

Need to jump off the fence as soon as you can and stand on the side of sobriety. Randa your addiction is telling you that it is okay. That’s what the disease of alcoholism does to us. I would advise strongly not to poke the bear.

Do you attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings / worker 12-step program / have a sponsor?

1 Like

I’m liking these suggestions @Yoda-Stevie. I think that would hit the spot.

I do lots of bubby waters and fruit and sparkling juices. So your suggestions are more “wine” like

2 Likes

Haven’t been to meeting regularly due to covid. I have a temp sponsor from here.

1 Like

Again I suggest do not poke the bear. Call your temporary sponsor immediately my friend. Do not wake up the sleeping dragon… Reaching out in this forum is a great start. You’re using the tools in your sobriety toolbox. Proud of you.

I apologize Randa if I seem too passionate concerning this topic. I have been down this road many many times with myself and clients concerning NA beer/wine and it has always ended in disaster.

1 Like

Enjoying a mug myself

3 Likes

Thank you Mr. Yoda. That is exactly what happens.

1 Like

What about the ppl it don’t make crave the real thing? Bc I drink n.as occasionally and it def don’t make me crave the real thing lol. It actually does the opposite for me and makes me not want the real thing bc I see just how fast I’d fall into the real thing. It also takes my urge away rite away.

7 Likes

In the beginning I used n.a wine to get me through events where I feared I would reach for the real thing. Then it became a special occasion treat. Now I have some every once in a while. Sometimes I have a bottle and I forget all about it. I am now 18.5 months sober. FOR ME (and that is important to say because it is different for everyone) I have never been tempted to drink the real stuff because of n.a. wine. For me the problem was I liked a buzz and once I got a buzz I kept on drinking so I could keep the buzz (which never worked because o would quickly go from buzzed to absolutely sloshed!!). So all I need to do is stay not-buzzed. Sometimes that’s water, sometimes club soda, sometimes tea, and sometimes…n.a wine.

BUT I NEVER RECOMMEND IT. It’s not my place to say that it’s okay. I just share my experience and it’s up to the person to decide if they can stay not tempted. Lots of people here know it isn’t the right choice for them and I admire them for that.

5 Likes