Dealing with death in the family

This is my first time posting so if i mess up let me apologize ahead of time lol. My brother in law passed away last friday. Me and my husband traveled 12 hrs there and back to set up funeral and be with the family. We just got a sttelment from a accident so thankfully had the $. This is one of the hardest things ive ever done. I am 7 and a half months sober but got god i wanted a drink. Hell i wanted a whole bottle. I wont do it, sobriety means too much to mean and now i need to make my brother proud. He was more like my brother than my own. The funeral is today but we had to be home so my husbands dad could go as we have dogs with medical needs.could really use some words of encouragement or advise today. I just feel broken like im missing a piece of me…

6 Likes

Ah hun, death is never easy to handle. I love how you plan on keeping sober to honor him. I know he had to have been proud of you. I remember when I was fairly newish to recovery one holiday weekend we got three separate notifications of family deaths. I went to a meeting and absolutely railed about how much I hated God. Three deaths scattered across the country in three days. I didn’t think my recovery would survive it. However I clung hard to folk in recovery who let me vent and who offered support. I remained clean mainly like you, for those who had passed on. What I learned was that no matter how difficult life got, no matter what was thrown at me, I could continue my life of recovery. Staying close to others in recovery kept me safe and strong while I felt weak. I’m so happy you came here to talk about it. Putting feelings to words and sharing them gives us the opportunity to be here for you. Feel free to message me if you need to talk. :heart:

4 Likes

Iam so sorry for your loss and the emotions you dealing with now. Your not alone and I’m thinking of you during this hard time and sending you strength. Let your sobriety help pull you through and give you that stability you need. X

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss my Aunt passed away on 10th Dec 2022 at 101 organizes her funeral have had a hard time the last five years lost my two older brothers May2017 and Dec 2017 and my identical twin brother July 2020 and my cousin (my aunts daughter) Jan2021 , but a drink woudnt have made it easier just knew what to do that was right , and my home group members also were a rock .wish you well

4 Likes

There is no easy way of dealing with the loss of someone we love, everyone deals with grief there own way, there is no right or wrong way or time on grief but what i will say after losing a huge amount of family members is drinking will make things a million times worse, i am sorry for your loss, the pain you feel now will ease up at some point, wishing you well

3 Likes