Dealing with Irritability

Day 4 of no drinking at all and I have been progressively getting more and more irritable, moody, over emotional, and kinda anxious.

I feel like I have very little patience and have such a quick temper, especially with my son, when I am usually the opposite as a mom.
I’m feeling so frustrated with myself and sort of out of control of my emotions.

Anyone have any advice of getting through this period of withdrawal/quitting and how long should I expect these feelings to last?

(I am on anti-anxiety meds and my dr said these feelings are due to cutting back/quitting alcohol.)

9 Likes

Day 4 thats brilliant to hear :slightly_smiling_face:

It does get better and become less frequent, this time will pass.

Keep going, take one day at a time and keep reaching out here for support.
This community is great, bad or good day just reach out let us hold your hand through it and remember it does pass its temporary these feelings.

Glad your here :hugs:

5 Likes

Welcome Katie, good job on joining TS and on your Day 4 AF. It’s a great start!
I honestly think we underestimate the physical and emotional effect that alcohol has on us, which is why withdrawal, especially the first few days are so horrible. lt’s a BIG deal!

Just because you can buy your DOC at the corner store, doesn’t make it any less dangerous or powerful than other drugs. And withdrawal from it is very similar.

This is why doctors generally don’t like us detoxing at home without medical and emotional support. It is definitely more challenging, and a little bit scary, doing it home alone.
How old is your son? Is he old enough to understand your situation? I am always open and honest with my teenage girls when l have a crack at sobriety, so they get why l might be irritable. I tell them that it’s temporary and that although l might seem angry, it’s not their fault. I don’t talk about it all day long, but l usually remind them of what AFD l’m on. They will usually say “ Good job,Mum! We’re proud of you. Keep going!”
Even if your son is like 4, he would understand if you said “ Mummy is not well at the moment and it’s making me feel grumpy, but it’s not your fault. I will feel much better in a few days, so then we can do something fun!”

All the very best to you and your son :heart:

5 Likes

I’m early in my sobriety as well, one week & day 4 was the worse day I had. I have been journaling daily so I can look back & remember I don’t want to repeat day four ever again. Forward.

3 Likes

Good guess! My son is 4. I’m a stay at home mom so I am with him pretty much 24/7. I try to be good about communicating my feelings to him so he learns to do the same, but your reply was a much needed reminder as I know I have not been doing that much these past few days. I hate when I snap at him or get frustrated so quickly because I usually am not like that with him at all. His sad little face just breaks my heart and I feel even more guilt and shame than I already do. I know he doesn’t understand and I just hate that my problem is affecting him more now than ever before.

Anyway, thank you for your advice and support!

1 Like

I am so glad to hear that. I know everyone’s experience is different, but it’s a relief to know that tomorrow could possibly be better than today. Thank you. Also, congrats on 1 week!

1 Like

Thank you. I have spent a lot of time on here today and I feel encouraged that I have made the right choice.

Thank you for your advice. I have been trying to stay busy and drinking more water. Today I’ve just felt in such a grumpy funk and not able to get much done. I hope with time will come the motivation to exercise That has always been a challenge for me.

That is a good way to look at it. I haven’t been sober since I was a young teen (I’m almost 30) so this is uncharted territory. My mental health It’s very scary and exciting to find out who I really am without various substances in my system.

I had no idea about the Chinese medicine, so thank you for telling me about it. Definitely interesting!

2 Likes

If he could articulate it, he would say he doesn’t want you to feel shame and guilt. He would just want you to be happy and to be there for him!

You are the best Mum he can ever hope for and will love you no matter what! He will love you even more if he sees that you are looking after yourself by not drinking :heart:

I am not saying this to make you feel better. I am saying this because l am living this reality right now!
I am 14 days AF, and l can see and feel the difference in the relationships l have with my 3 teenage daughters already.
As they see me coming out from the darkness back into the land of the living, they are engaging and wanting to spend more time with me.
They are more understanding of my moods, more forgiving of my forgetfulness and more appreciative of the little things l’m doing for them (baking cakes,watching a movie with them, going for a walk, packing their lunches for work).
It’s been amazingly rewarding and is keeping me on track!
I hope your energy levels will also pick up in the next few days so you may enjoy the things l am right now

Hang in there - it will be worth it! :heart:
P.S. PM me anytime you need support x

1 Like

I too am a mom of a 4yr old boy, premature. He probably drove me to be alcoholic. He saved me and broke me too.

We have to want better forthem .hes now a healthy 4 yr old and Mommy is broken!

1 Like

One more thing! If there is any chance that you could get out of the house, go for a walk and grab a coffee, ice cream,chocolate,whatever your poison is,JUST NOT ALCOHOL, all by yourself for even 30 mins, that would probably be good for you! Just to reset yourself - it’s tough finding time for yourself as a sole parent!

If that’s not doable, how about a nice bath when junior has gone to bed?
Once again, you could indulge with a nice NA drink, chocolate or ice cream, some candles,music. Self care and :heart: is so important in recovery.

1 Like