Dealing with shame and guilt

I find it very difficult to deal with the guilt of some of the things I’ve done. Some of it was years ago and I’ve made amends and improved myself in ways that I would tell anyone else who had done these things makes up for it many times over.

But I still get such a terrible feeling of guilt and shame thinking about some of the things I’ve done. Even things I did more than a decade ago when I truly didn’t know any better. Therapists have told me in the past that I need to give myself permission to move on but it still eats me up. Not all the time, but when it does come it’s horrible and leaves me on the edge of tears.

Anyone got any tips or ideas on how to deal with it?

4 Likes

I can relate to this for sure. I think for me just reminding myself that the future can be different, and I made a choice to gift myself the capacity to be in control of the choices I now make, and knowing that I can determine what happens from this point forward. These reminders don’t heal the wounds of the past, but they still fill me up with good vibes that get me through and past the guilt. Keeping busy or finding ways to support others helps to distract. I like to surprise people with fun little gifts. Maybe find something positive to do for someone you know just because and without expectation of reciprocity. Hope any of this helps. I totally feel ya!

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. Yeah I do a lot of helping others and I haven’t been able to because of covid. Maybe I need to find a way to reconnect with that.