Deciding when to make a change

I’m mostly here because I’ve had a difficult time quitting vaping, I vape when I drink and I drink when I smoke weed and it’s a really easy circle for me to spiral into. I can say these things have negatively impacted my life and that is true, but it doesn’t feel like they’ve hurt me enough to really scare me. I haven’t lost friends, or work, just time and energy that I could be dedicating to better things. Trying to figure out if I belong here is hard. Planning to quit substances feels fragile at this stage because I almost feel like I’m also planning my replaces, because I’m not 100% sure I’m addicted. Is that what all addicts say?

4 Likes

The only person that can tell you you have a problem is yourself.
If you’re curious, go 1 month without either nicotine or alcohol. If you can do one month, go the next month without both.
If you are struggling going 1-2 months then maybe start thinking a little bit more about your addiction.
If you can easily do 1-2 months, why not just keep it going? I guarantee after 2 months you’ll be feeling like a new person.

2 Likes

Additionally, everyone has their own rock bottom. Some people it’s getting to a point they’re being kicked out of home and living in the street, others it’s losing their job.
Maybe realising that you ‘might’ have a problem is your rock bottom. How amazing that would be if everyone could do that. Just remember, the longer you drink and vape, the more you will do it, and the less it gives you a high.

If you want, give “this naked mind” a listen to. It’s an unreal book that challenges the normalised view on drinking.

2 Likes

Welcome! Sounds like you are questioning your relationship with these substances. That’s a good thing. Much better to nip things in the bud before they spiral out of control. Finding it difficult to stop using a substance is a warning flag. Having to use increased amounts of a substance to “take the edge off” or feel its effects is another. Maybe you already know this, I don’t mean to preach!
Anyway, have a read around, there is a lot of good info and support here. Wish you well☮️

2 Likes

thank you that’s super helpful, you’re right if realizing I might have a problem is my rock bottom and I can get to living a cleaner life I’ll be very grateful. going to start with cutting out drinking and see where I go from there :slight_smile:

2 Likes