Depression hit me hard

Just feeling blah.
I’ve been in a funk this whole week. I’ll explain it the best I can. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and have for years. When I first got sober, before my relapses, I was put on medication. So this last time I got sober, I started back on it. And things got better mentally, for the most part. I felt good, happy, positive, and now I feel down and out… my dr. and I are lowering my dose for personal reasons to change to something different. Theres a bigger picture as to why I’m changing it. So I finally got put on a low dose and boom! The depression hits and hits me hard! I’m fine one minute and the next I’m not… I could cry at any minute. And the bigger picture that I’ve been waiting for, seems like its never going to happen… I’m sober and I know a drink or drug won’t make it better. I just feel mentally drained. I’m at a job I hate. Cant support the wife. Juggling bills, every month! And I know things could be worse, but damn… I’m trying to see the light at the end, but damn is it hard some times… I have applications in for other jobs. I’m not gonna drink or drug. I know I need to call my sponsor, so I’ll do that on my break. But in the mean time, anyone who else has depression. What do you do to get out of a funk?
I made a gratitude list but didnt help.
I prayed, didnt help.
A drink or drug won’t solve anything so that’s out of the question.
Just… HELP!

1 Like

Hi there @Just4Today, I hear you. Depression is a bitch. I suffer it too, not too bad but it affects me daily. I tried meditation and found out that it really works for me to calm down a bit. Hope your getting better soon.

Hiya. I suffer with anxiety and depression. Exercise is a big help to me. Have to force myself to go running walking but feel so much better after. A good book on depression and a easy read if your struggling to concentrate is ’ Reasons to stay Alive my Matt Hair.

4 Likes

I called my dr. And told him I’m going to go back on the previous dose and if he wants me to do anything different than that, to let me know… i have an upcoming appointment with him this month.
I just dont know how I’m going to get off this medication to start a different one… and I know that’s the depression talking. But it can just get so discouraging sometimes…

Just checking in with you guys… I’m feeling better, not 100%, but better than I was… I went back on my previous dose of anti depressants. So that helped tremendously. Also just trying to stay positive and be grateful. Thanks for all who replied!

5 Likes

I hope that you have managed to break through today’s black dog as Winston Churchill would call his depression. I find reading watching quiz shows and healthy eating and exercise helps. Do you enjoy cooking? I find reading recipes and preparing for them also is a good distraction. Also know that there are 1000s of us like you and you are not alone. All here to help each other. I’m studying Psychology to understand why our brains function like they do?Aube look at a online course and think about helping others like yourself. Nothing better than feeling great helping someone. Hope this can give you some positive vibes. And go outside tonight and look at the stars!!! :v:️:heart:️

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!
I’m not much of a cook but I’m open to it.
Will definately reach out to someone today! I got a sponsee on Saturday, first one. So maybe that was Gods way of saying help someone, get out your head. And that I can do!
Will definately look up tonight and think for a little bit. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking back in. Means a lot!

Fantastic! I’m glad things are moving in the right direction.

2 Likes

Hey bro, I battle depression and anxiety myself and it sucks from time to time. Totally relate to that. And especially with the job situation. It seems since I got sober 10 months ago I jumped from job to job. Finding a suitable workplace that you can gain pride and accomplishments is what I found helpful (I know easier said than done), I’m still searching myself. Just try and keep moving forward. Keep you head up and opportunity will reveal itself. Don’t knowif that helped.

2 Likes

Just read your latest post and glad your feeling a lil better dude!

1 Like

U know whats really screwed up . Mens and depression in society dont relate .i battle both and they both suck . They say mens are suppose to be the strong ones. But its hard and a chemical imbalance doesnt make us less of men. I am hoping everything is better for u . #strongforlife

1 Like