Depression in my life

Hello everyone. I have become engulfed in alcohol. I have delt with depression all my life. I really need someone to talk to that understands. Thanks for your time guys and gals

6 Likes

I am 44 years old yesterday. I am married with 2 kids 22 and 20. I love my wife and children with all my heart but I’m constantly sad.

5 Likes

My son is autistic and it has been a struggle but my wife and I sacrificed everything to give him a good quality of life. I am proud to say my 20 year old autistic son is living a great life with perfect communication and he is truly an inspiration. If nothing please pray for me to the god of your understanding. Thanks

7 Likes

When my son needed ABA therapy I worked 2 jobs in a completely different town and I slept in my truck between shifts. My wife and daughter are my sons biggest help. I just need someone to talk to about depression. I have no intention of hurting myself I just cry for no reasons at all. Please if any of you have had problems with this reach out to me and thank you in advance

4 Likes

Welcome @Coleman21979. Do you have the resources to seek professional help?

1 Like

No. I was working in Iowa for the past 2 years and my contract ran out.

1 Like

Just turned 44 yesterday and I haven’t been without a job sense 15 years old

1 Like

TY so much for the reply

1 Like

I hope that can change for you. Depression is often so related to addiction. And depression often needs to be treated with medication. That said, getting alcohol (a depressant) out of your life is a big step. Glad you are here. What are your plans for getting and staying sober?

2 Likes

That must be very unsettling. Are there possibilities for finding a new job?

1 Like

I have been 11 days without alcohol. Being that my resources are limited I’m just taking it one day at a time. Before this I have basically drank myself to sleep for years

4 Likes

I truly hope so. I e put over 200 applications in the past 3 months

1 Like

I do believe that alcohol elevates depression. Right now I’m just asking for prayers. I appreciate you 100%

1 Like

Oh gosh. I feel your pain - I too was stuck in the depression and alcohol spiral (also major anxiety for me) for many years. Congrats on your 11 days, that’s a huge accomplishment! It is going to take time for your mind and body to find its equilibrium again, and staying sober will be important for you to get mentally healthy again, so do whatever it takes to maintain your sobriety. I also struggled with being out of work and went through my husband’s lay off which turned our world upside down. Drinking about it did horrible things for me. I don’t recommend it! Stay focused on that job search but also on ways you can change those neural pathways in your brain to focus on being grateful (even when it’s hard to find things, the basics always work, like being grateful for healthy, safe family, for reliable transportation, for a safe home, etc.). A daily gratitude practice to start or end your day can really help with depressive feelings.

Hang in there. We are here for you!

3 Likes

I hope the Lord blesses everyone on here. People just don’t understand. Nobody chooses to be an alcoholic or drug addict. It just seems to grab some people more than others

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I would also add to try and take good care of your body right now. It needs to heal and you need that baseline to boost your mental health, too. Try to eat healthy foods, and if you don’t have an appetite try easy things like soups. I struggle with appetite when I am feeling depressed. Make sure you’re hydrating and drinking lots of water. Maybe take a multivitamin and try to move your body, go for short (or long!) walks. The mind and body are so connected! They need each other to recover together.

2 Likes

I appreciate the replies. I am going to check in here every day. Bless you all and if anyone needs to talk to someone I will be here!

4 Likes

Absolutely. My wife is my backbone through this and I couldn’t be more grateful. I’ve seen friends and family go through this alone and man it’s so sad

2 Likes

I truly appreciate you so much. My wife holds me together but even she will tell you she doesn’t understand. We were high school sweethearts and have been together for 28 years. I just absolutely hate putting her through this

2 Likes