Desperately Seeking Sponsor

Good advice for finding a compatible sponsor? Looking for concrete, practical resources rather than vague suggestions, like ‘google near you’ or ‘go to a zoom meeting’. Is there some sort of ‘tinder’ for this? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hey I would be happy to be your sponser I have been sober for 28 days but I have been trying for 5yrs I could never give up booze and alcohol for more than 14 days but I’m here now and plan to stay sober for 14 months

Don’t mean to sound rude but how can you sponsor someone when your planning to drink !!! I got told when looking for a sponsor to find someone who has what you want … That’s complete sobriety ?

4 Likes

No your right and that was inconsiderate I have been on meth coke pills mushrooms and alcohol and weed and I gave up all of them 28 days ago I’m so happy and have found the secret to life!! But some people are searching for complete sobriety I’m sorry.

1 Like

If you do need some advice I have been on this journey for 5 yrs

I have failed 300 times

@Edmund can you help with advice on finding a sponsor?

I know lots of others could too but I think you might be up!

2 Likes

I have never stopped quiting if today you fall tomorrow you get back up

2 Likes

That’s great your not giving up x

2 Likes

Your right trust me though in five yrs of quiting no one know better than me I have realised that I have been attacking quiting the wrong way you must attack your mind focused on yourself!!! Everyone around you contributed to your demise.

My only suggestion would be get to a meeting and listen to people share. When they ask if there’s any newcomers introduce yourself and let them know that you are looking for a sponsor. Focus on the similarities, not the differences. You will hear stories (possibly your story) and you will find someone that has what you want. That’s the person that you might want to ask.
As for a tender type app for sponsorship, I have not heard of one.
Also @DoubleBee stay plugged in here to Talking Sober. This is an incredible app that will enhance your sobriety. Good luck finding your sponsor my friend. :heart:
P. S. There might be other people on here with more up-to-date information regarding online sponsorship and meetings. I’m a little old-fashioned when it comes to the way things are to be done in AA/NA. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Thank you for reaching out to me @siand I wish I had a better answer for the young lady but that’s what I was taught. :heart:

And good morning by the way, Make it a beautiful day in sobriety my friend.

1 Like

That’s not quite how it works, :face_with_monocle: :thinking: self-will, ego, and pride will only get us so far. @416mrj I would suggest a meeting or two and it might change your perspective. Just a thought

3 Likes

That’s more like on purpose. Habit perhaps. I used to also quit from Monday to Thursday then fall on Friday, Saturday Sunday…

2 Likes

all my sponsorees ive had over the years were at meetings when they asked me i have had emails prefer face to face as suggested maybe have a look at online ways wish you well

1 Like

looking for online— prefer texting. any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

3 Likes

A sponsor is someone (usually of the same gender) that helps guide you through the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. They have themselves completed the 12 steps.

You find one of these at a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. And you also will need a Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

If this is what you’re after, then find a meeting. If you want a sober friend to talk to about sober stuff, you may find that here. But that is not a sponsor.

Hope this helps clear that up

5 Likes

I need a sponsor too. :confused: October will be 1 year I’ve been in AA.
Now I am sitting around step 3… wondering, do I move forward on my own? Yeah…knowing me that is a BAD idea.

Only 2 other people in my HG and although 1 has decades of sobriety its a guy I am not comfortable with. (Not to mention, I do think it should be a female… same gender… )

I was just going to post the same request but looks like finding an online sponsor is hard. :smiley: Suggestions also welcome.

One day at a time.