Detox and Sobering

Hey guys, I’m new here. I’ve tried so many times to quit on my own, I believed I was strong enough to do it on my own. Sunday I got so drunk and defeated I called my friend to take to the the ER or to somewhere I could get help. I wound up in detox for 4 days which was a humbling experience. The detox drugs they gave me really messed with my head and now I’m in a mental fog. I guess I’m like 6 days sober but my cravings for drinking are so strong. Any suggestions for cravings? I really want this to stick. I obviously need professional help but I still feel so defeated and sad. I think it’s the “coming down” after drinking so frequently for so long. Could use a word of encouragement. I’m going to try group therapy. Substance abuse disorder still feels so stigmatized and I am humbled and embarrassed, but I have been drinking to subside my anxiety and other mental health issues. Detox felt like that movie Girl Interrupted. They dose out the crazy pills in those little cups and watch you take them. People screaming and crying. My brain is in such a fog and I’m hopeful but also so scared. Please reassure me that this is going to be ok on the other side of this preliminary “sobering up” phase. Thank you. I wish you all well in your sober journey as well.

9 Likes

It is going to be okay. The fog will start to slowly lift. You are gonna have to have a little faith here, but I can tell you that sober will be better. Its just gonna take sometime for you to mentally and physically cope with life without alcohol.

Most people find success with group settings (ex. Inpatient or Outpatient therapy, AA, SMART, Celebrate Recovery, etc.)

I found a lot of comfort and knowledge in the beginning just reading here everyday. It made me feel like people understood what I was going through and also hearing stories from others whose life improved after stopping drinking.

3 Likes

The fog will lift trust and believe. Understand that your body and mind are going through a lot of changes all at once. Its not only physically stressful, it’s emotionally and mentally draining as well. It will pass but you’re going to need to keep your willpower in tact. Believe in yourself and the things you want to change, make them real and accept where you are. Being humbled can change your whole personality/perspective. Keep showing up :heart:

2 Likes