Detoxing and depressed

Hi Everyone, Can anyone relate to this, I am on my 1st day of home detox, I feel very depressed, I am on librium which is helping with my anxiety but I just depressed thinking about all the shit that I have done through alcohol can anyone tell me if the depression lifts after a few days, Id be grateful for any replies

3 Likes

So depressed the first few days—that awful, clawing, wrenching depression that sucks away all joy. Feeling a bit better, it’s the end of day 3 for me, but I can feel it lifting. Definitely part of the withdrawal process as it feels like more than just regret of my past (though I’ve been completely focused on that too and I completely agree that is the depression talking). Now I’m getting some headaches, trouble sleeping, anxiety, but it will get so much better after the first week. I’m telling myself to just stick with it, we can do this together.

3 Likes

Welcome back @Silver1. Stay here, you’ll get nothing but support. If you’re day 1, then I’d imagine (depending on the level of your intake) thqt there is still alcohol in your system…obviously having its depressant effect. Yes, it absolutely does get better and quite quickly. As your energy levels lift, so will your mood. Key point I would say right now is go easy on yourself and be kind to yourself. Eat when you can, sleep when you can, drink water, walk, talk, breathe. Put everything down if you can and just leave yourself one thing to do today - be sober. And the same tomorrow. If you can nourish and rest your body it will help so much. Stay here, we will help. Well done on choosing sobriety :+1: Don’t question that choice…you got it spot on :clap:

1 Like

Absolutely we can do this together. Don’t underestimate how important community is. Quick story… Went to an aa meeting. Lady told how she had gone on a cruise. Welcomed onto the ship with a glass of champagne. She felt the wobble. She rang her sponsor. “I don’t know if I’ll get through this…I’ve got 500 drinkers in front of me!” Sponsor replied “You have 500 drinkers in front of you…and 1 million alcoholics behind you!”
Yes @Liberara, spot on, we are definitely stronger together.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all you replies, it feels good to part of a community that knows exactly what I am going through, I am on day 2 of my detoxing, nurse will be up soon to give me my breathalyser and the jag on the bum for vitamins, then Ill take my librium, Last night surprisingly I had a good sleep, Im not feeling anxious its just like a heavy depression, but I am look for my higher power to help me lift that

1 Like