Did I relapse

I had two quarts of beer yesterday. Dors this constitute a relapse and should I reset

1 Like

The “proper” answer here is that only you can answer that. But for what it’s worth, Merriam-Webster defines “abstinence” as:

the practice of abstaining from something; the practice of not doing or having something that is wanted or enjoyable.

So if you had the object of your addiction (in any form or amount) because you wanted it, then you were not abstinent.

2 Likes

@Pimentel I would say it’s just a tiny one call it a lapse but its up to you if you decide to carry it on. If you decide to carry on then yeah then that’s a relapse. But be strong and get back to being sober. Xx

Thanks i appreciate the feedback. I was sober for 8 days . And I’ll try to make it for much longer. Thank God it was only 2 quarts and I didn’t get drunk. I just visited some mates who were drinking and found myself having some. It wasn’t a deliberate intention

1.9 litres of beer is quite a bit. I’d say it’s a rest tbh.

2 Likes

In my opinion, by asking the question, you are essentially seeking affirmation for drinking while you are trying to get sober. Sorry, you are not going to get it here. By drinking two quarts of beer you relapsed big time.

5 Likes

So do you suggest I just carry on drinking

Nobody here can make that choice for you

1 Like

You need to decide for yourself. Do you want lifelong sobriety or do you want to continue drinking when it is convenient for you to do so. Quitting drinking is easy; staying quit is the hard part. Your choice. No one can make it for you.

5 Likes

Picking up a glass by mistake and taking a drink is a mistake, two quarts is deliberate. My opinion, reset. As @DrunkNoMore said you have to choose, but you chose to drink on this one.

1 Like

I’d say, a sip isnt necessarily a relapse, though it can be a warning sign or danger zone. 2 quarts is a whole lot of sips, and sounds like real drinking. Its a question of what you want. Be honest. The definitions dont matter but you do. Take your life seriously.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a RElapse, since you stopped and didn’t keep on drinking the next day etc. Hopefully you will learn from it. I would definitely call it a lapse, for the same reasons. Just get back at it. Maybe next time you are going to hang out with friends, bring your own favorite NA drink. That way you will have to think a little before reaching for alcohol. Remember, sober tonight, serene tomorrow. Good luck!

1 Like